Approved for Club Carlson Platinum Rewards Visa. Any success upgrading to Premier Rewards Visa?

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by petzpetz, Jun 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. petzpetz

petzpetz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi!

I applied for the Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa card but was approved only for the lower Platinum Rewards Visa card.

I was wondering if anybody has experience with calling in and arguing for them to upgrade to the Premier Rewards. I intended to actually use the Premier Rewards after the sign up bonus at Club Carlson properties and for spent not bonused by another card but with the Platinum Rewards' earning rate of 6 pts/$ and 3 pts/$, I would continue using my Chase Sapphire Preferred in these cases.

Best,
    petzpetz

Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm interested I this also, got the base card with plans to upgrade later, in a year or so, then learned my status matched gold status ended!

Kalboz and petzpetz like this.
  3. Sil747

Sil747 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also applied for the Premier Rewards Visa only to find out that I received the lower version. Two months later, I applied for the biz Club Carlson and was approved. Going to downgrade the personal card to a no fee upon anniversary year.

Kalboz and petzpetz like this.
  4. petzpetz

petzpetz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your responses, iolaire and Sil747!

@iolaire: I just asked for a status match from IHG Platinum. We'll see. Could you report back with your experiences if you call US Bank and try to upgrade? I'd be really interested in what they say.

@Sil747: The business version could be a nice way out but I'm in the US on a J visa that doesn't allow me to have a business, so I don't think I can apply for business cards.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. petzpetz

petzpetz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it's helpful for somebody:

I just called US Bank after I received the Platinum Rewards card to ask if there is anything I can do to get the card I actually applied for (the Premier Rewards card) and after putting me on hold for two minutes the very friendly representative told me that she cannot do this at this point but should be able to do this if I use the card for 6 months and pay off my balances in full. Moreover, I asked if they will need to make a hard pull again before they upgrade and she said that they usually upgrade without it or only with a soft pull.

Best,
    petzpetz

JosephMay, Kalboz and iolaire like this.