Approved 2x for United MP Explorer card?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hashj01, Jun 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hashj01

hashj01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've got a quick question for all of you experts out there! :) My sister was targeted for the 65k United MP Explorer card promo and I encouraged her to apply for it. She did, but upon submitting it there was an error with her internet browser or something and it said she'd need to resubmit her application because it didn't go through. After re-submitting it, she received notice that she had submitted a duplicate application and to wait to hear on the first one (or something like that from what she explained to me). Well, low and behold, she just received TWO cards in the mail from Chase with two different account numbers. Am I correct in assuming that Chase isn't going to allow her to get the bonus miles two times? (I tend to live by the motto that what seems to be too good to be true often is.)

Any thoughts on what I should advise her to do?

2. UrbaneGent

UrbaneGent Member

Status Points:
    Why do you think Chase will not give her her bonus miles? I have two separate MP Explorer accounts and I got all my bonus miles from both accounts. If you go to dansdeals.com, he states, "...in fact I currently have 2 United Explorer cards and a United Club card!" - so he has three...

Regardless, now she has them and I would recommend -

Do nothing and wait, if she gets the extra points, go on with life as usual. If she doesn't, well, go on with life as usual. There's a lot of different scenarios that can happen, Chase closing one account, merging the two together, etc., or business as usual and your sis has two UA MP Explorer Cards and gets all the bonus miles from the cards.

Immediately closing the account may harm her credit score temporarily. I would wait until her time requirements are met, and then close one account. If she tries to merge the two accounts after the time requirements are met (or any time), they may take the bonus miles away. Besides, your sister didn't know you can have more than one Explorer Card's, right? <grin> After all, it was Chase that sent it to her.

jetsetboy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Patience is a virtue, especially in this case...

theBOAT

harvson3 and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sit tight, make the first purchase on both cards and wait. DO NOT contact customer service in any case.

harvson3 and carsonheim like this.
  5. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rule 1) Never call the airline
    Rule 2) Never call the credit card company

:)

6. hashj01

hashj01 Active Member

Status Points:
    Well evidently Chase figured it out right away. Evidently when my sister went to activate the first of the cards to arrive, she was told that this account number had been closed because a duplicate had been opened. Oh well! At least she was approved for the targeted 65k card. :)