Appropriate compensation for a bad stay

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Leonardo85, Nov 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear Members,

i just want to ask what you think about the term for a appropriate compensation for a bad stay
    especially at Park Hyatts and Grand Hyatts...

With kind regards

Kalboz likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about points compensation, but these depends on what was the problem encountered in one of these hotels.

3. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends what you consider a bad stay!

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    for example, a bad spa (dirt and mudd), noise every night , unfriendly employees at breakfast, etc

your experiences with that ?

Kalboz likes this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're still going to have to provide more detail for anyone to be able to give any kind of helpful information. What kind of noise, how much noise, how were the employees unfriendly, etc. You haven't provided enough information to enable anyone to give you a meaningful response.

aptraveler and Kalboz like this.
  6. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    noise that you can not sleep the whole night, because of garbage trucks... isolation of window seems defect, hair on the ground at the spa and much mud ... the service was all in all bad...

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on the information provided so far, I'd agree.

davef139, aptraveler and Kalboz like this.
  9. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you give the hotel a chance to correct these problems? If not, I would let it go. Don't wait until it compounds and bothers you after you check out. Did you request to be moved because of the noise? While the experiences you had are unfortunate and probably something you feel you shouldn't have to deal with, it's hard to ask for compensation when after the fact. You will probably get a survey for each property you stayed at, I would voice your concerns when filling them out, but expect no compensation. If you would like to pursue, send an email to each of the GM's at the property you stayed at.

aptraveler, LETTERBOY and Kalboz like this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The window comment seems a bit of a stretch. Did you ask to be moved?
    Hair on the ground at the spa? Did you speak with the spa manager?
    Service "was in all bad" won't help a manager improve performance.

I would say zero on the compensation front. Park Hyatt are usually quite good for service with the exception of the United States. If you don't like the Park Hyatt- perhaps move over to Four Seasons (although things go wrong there as well).

aptraveler and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mud? I thought people paid for that stuff at spas ...

I would post the bad experience (including the property name) here and on other websites such as tripadvisor.com, TOBB, etc.

rookie10 likes this.
  12. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you got a poorly situated room. I assume this condition exists every day of the year. Hair on the ground in the spa - not cause for compensation to me. All in all bad service - very general and perhaps an anomoly, but given other enumerated complaints, perhaps you found generally bad service when others would not.

Several weeks ago, I was at a Hyatt, and when I opened the bathroom, it was obvious that the staff had completely failed to touch the bathroom (towels on the floor, used soap in the tub, etc.). An obvious and palpable failure of a most basic duty in hospitality. I obviously brought it to the front desks's attention, but never would have thought of requesting compensation - mistakes are not supposed to give rise to bonanzas.

13. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently had a poor stay at a Hyatt Regency property - big chips in the shower, large noticeable stains on carpets and all the furniture, claw marks on walls, unclean linens. I kid you not. Plus, the service was pretty bad. Check-out was impersonal where the employee took phone calls (when I was with him) instead of assisting me and checking me out.

I complained after I left the property as the hotel provided an email address to discuss hotel quality issues. I also CC'd Gold Passport. The hotel never responded. However, Gold Passport did respond and provided me compensation or additional Gold Passport points along with a very nice apology. I was assured my email would be discussed with senior management. I felt like they took my complaint seriously - I can't say the same with other hotel chains.

I have also found that Hyatt takes their post stay surveys very seriously and you typically get a response from someone at the hotel based on your comments and ratings. If you were unhappy, you could always mention it there and I'm sure someone would follow-up.

mo26 and Scottrick like this.
  14. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think first of all, as others have said, did you talk about the issues WHILE you were AT the hotel? If you have left the property I'm with others - complete the survey. I would set your expectations low though. Unlike others have said I don't think Hyatt really cares what their customers think/say. I do think you should post on other social sites e.g., TripAdvisor, Yelp (for the city it was in), etc. If you have NOT checked out then call and ask for the duty manager immediately and report SPECIFIC feedback. I wouldn't expect any compensation but perhaps they will make the rest of your stay more pleasant and isn't that what your goal really is?

15. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also agree you are going to be more specific and would go a step further: you need to identify the hotel and the stay period. If the hotel overlooked the superbowl stadium on the night before the game, for example, noise would be the norm and beyond the hotel's control. I'm not saying you don't have a valid case, but as everyone has posted so far, you just don't give us enough to work with to comment meaningfully.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    That has been my experience, too. Of all things, my most recent complaint was about the fact some Hyatt properties have replaced real grapefruit juice with some kind of foul-tasting grapefruit cocktail. It's trivial and not worth writing an angry blog post about, but since I happen to know someone at Hyatt PR (perk of attending SMD4) I asked and she's looking into it. I at least wnat to know if this is some trend I have to watch for.

Hyatt's employees really do try to correct things. As for making sure bad stuff doesn't happen in the first place, well, every hotel makes mistakes. I find Hyatt makes fewer.

LETTERBOY likes this.