Appreciation Valuations

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by BurBunny, Jun 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since Coupon Connection here isn't operational yet, this is a hypothetical query ;).

I'm having some difficulty in valuing UA 10% international customer appreciation certificates. In the past when I've gifted them, they get almosted immediately snapped up, and with the fact I also usually get multiple offers, I'm thinking I may have been undervaluing them.

I rarely see any indication of transfers of these with a set exchange like is often seen with other trades, i.e., 2 CR1s for 1 SWU, etc.

So opening this up for discussion. What do you all think is an appropriate exchange offer for these? (2 CO drink coupons might be a tad low in case anyone was going to suggest that, but RTW tickets might be a bit greedy as well ;) ).

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the actual usage, but a one-day lounge pass may be in the ball park.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was on the receiving end of some 10% vouchers last year and offered up drink chits. The savings due to the vouchers were $20-30 for me, so limited value. There was a glut of vouchers last year due to UA's E+ promo game (names escapes me) and some generous folks were offering theirs for free, too.

I usually end up with extra drink chits each year and offer them up for free.

4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're referring to the Optathalon 4th quarter last year, and yes, that did create a glut of 10% off coupons - which were fairly restrictive. This is different - it's good on all fare clases, any United metal, domestic or international. So can be used off Z fares for example, or even full C internationally (or F if someone is buying that outright, but I don't think they're on this board). So potential value is quite a bit higher.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, yes, if it's usable on international flights, I'd definitely offer more than a drink chit :) How about 5 RCC WiFi cards ;)

As sobore said, it really depends on what the recipient is going to do with it. If I were to book a $1200 trip and saved $120, I might be willing to part with a CR1, for example. If I had gotten the cert before I bought a recent $3000 Z fare, I would have offered maybe a couple CR1s or a SWU.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I gave out a few of these in one of the PWPs on FT for free.