Applying new EXP status to existing reservations - necessary?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by snowpuff, Sep 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a newly minted EXP (yay - though it just means i'm gone from home /way/ too much) and called the EXP desk to have my new status applied to my upgrade requests for travel Monday. The agent told me "that is not necessary, I see your status is already reflected"; however, when I have gone from GLD to PLT in the past if I did not have them do something my new status was not recognized. Has this changed and AA's technology is able to accomodate this automatically? My guess is no and I should just call back... but wanted to touch the community first as I remember seeing a post somewhere (cannot find it now) where people mentioned having them remove your advantage number and the upgrade request before adding it back

As a side note, I've never been EXP but have been PLT many times. Is there anything of real value other than the SWUs (which I need to read up on)?

IPBrian, pcarol, macbookguy and 2 others like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to use stickers for upgrades! Congrats on EXP! :)

pcarol, rwoman and snowpuff like this.
  3. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    EXP desk is the best perk. So helpful and fast and knowledgeable when it comes to everything AA. Also, no fee to redeposit the miles from a canceled award. And as mentioned, no more stickers for yourself. You will still need to use stickers to upgrade any traveling companions, though.

pcarol, rwoman and snowpuff like this.
  4. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I understand no more stickers (yay, though I have like 24 since I'm flying DFW>EWR right now and everyone is EXP so I never got upgraded anyway) but don't I need them to 'reset' my upgrade request so that I get bumped up to the 'relative top' of the queue?

5. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would call and have them refresh your existing reservations. Your AAdvantage number now shows EXP status, but the concern in the past is that the reservations do not. Mention it specifically as I worded it, "refresh existing reservations". And now you have 24 stickers with which to upgrade any companions (I only had 4 when I hit EXP). Just don't fly DFW-BOS and take my upgrades now :p:D.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As noted above, it's best to call back and ask for them to remove and then add your FF number back to your reservations. Unless there was an update to the process recently (possible, but I haven't heard of any) your reservations are tied to the status you held when you booked them and do not automatically update with each status level increase. The refresh is needed for your new EXP status to reflect for upgrade priority, etc.

Welcome to EXP. :)

7. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    this worked! when i said "refresh existing reservations" the agent said "i see your EXP status is showing on the reservation but the upgrade requests still show as PLT. Give me a minute to update that for you... /pause/... ok, thats what I wanted to see, the upgrade requests now show as EXP". - now, let's hope they clear! :)

TheBOSman likes this.
  8. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! happy to be here, as it were. I'm mostly excited about the SWU's (which I need to learn how to use, apparently its wise to search for availability first - i'm a pro expert-flyer member but I only use it for seat alerts - so now i need to learn how to use it for that too) and hopefully, MAYBE, getting an upgrade every once in a while now since as a PLT i /never/ got upgraded

9. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear it worked for you. Are you DFW-based?

Also, for SWUs on EF, you'll want to look under "Awards & Upgrades" and search for either C (if upgrade goes into business, whether on a three class plane or an international two class plane) or A (if on a domestic two class plane). You can confirm SWUs at booking if you check EF for the availability of the upgrades before booking, put the flights on hold and call in to the EXP desk and ask to apply the SWUs to the itinerary on hold, then purchase the ticket. Enjoy the new benefits and welcome!

10. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am!
    Ahhh, interesting! Thanks so much for the tip! I'm planning to use them wisely (take me and my partner on an international flight - believe you can upgrade three segments with one SWU) so just need to now find where we want to go and when!

11. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bad news is you will be behind all EXPs connecting at DFW. I don't recall if it is similar as a PLT, but if so, when you were PLT, you were behind all connecting EXPs, all O/D EXPs, and all connecting PLTs. You should still get far more upgrades as an EXP now though, I saw some PLT upgrades on my most recent trip through DFW and you'll now be ahead of them.

12. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    O/D\?

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    O&D = Origin & Destination.

In your case it means EXP who are originating in DFW instead of connecting in DFW. Connecting passengers have higher priority on the upgrade list than originating.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The SWUs are great and able to be used on any fare unlike the SWUs on UA and DL. Keep in mind your 3 segments need to be on AA metal.

In my years as an EXP I've only NOT been upgraded once when requesting an SWU, and that was because I waited till a few days before my flight departed to request it.

Using Expertflyer to get space is great, but even if you have to go on a waitlist, you're very likely to clear. I have to wait list my SWUs about 60% of the time, and as I said, I've only not cleared once.

15. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgrade-related question: as a PLT I was trained to always check-in as soon as possible to get higher on the upgrade list... Still true as an EXP?

16. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say it doesn't hurt, but I believe it doesn't matter anymore.

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Checking in early doesn't matter for PLT upgrades either. For EXP or sticker upgrades on domestic flights your status, whether you're connecting or originating, and the time of your original request is used. If you were checking in as early as possible for PLT sticker upgrades, it was for nothing. :cool:

The only time your check-in time matters is for SWUs that are still waitlisted once the flight goes to airport control.

A good primer on upgrades, particularly the last quoted section: LINK.

18. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think it mattered, but I still am not sure if there is any reason to wait on checking in anyway. I (and my friend I booked on AA who usually flies WN) are happy to not have to worry about checking in at T-24 like you need to for a good boarding position with WN!

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    WN is one airline I still have not found myself on. I'm going to be booking B9 soon, and want to get on VX before they go belly up. No rush to get on WN in my mind though. ;)

20. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and checked in for my flight this AM and what does my boarding pass show? PLT - not EXP. I tweeted AmericanAir and their response, as usual, as "everything is fine" but when I got to the airport the gate agent told me that in fact even though the system shows me, the person, as being EXP that my reservations and upgrades were still showing PLT. She defined that the only way to change this was to remove the upgrade request, remove the advantage number from the PNR, re-add the advantage number (to show the new status on the PNR) and re-add the upgrade request.

i tweeted AmericanAir and they again said it was weird and that nothing was ever wrong; I wish they would spend the time to actually understand why this happens and how to fix it versus saying nothing is wrong when clearly it is. So, for future reference... apparently you have to un-associate all of your advantage life to the PNR and re-associate it for your new status to reflect

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that exactly what was recommended by various individuals above? :confused:

22. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes... and I did that... but it didn't work - apparently only the gate agents now what to really do. i even called the EXP desk twice and tweeted with American Air. I thought saying "refresh my reservations" to the EXP agent did it but whatever they did was not working

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems like bad luck unfortunately. :(

You're not the first person to have existing reservations need refreshing after moving up a status level, and typically folks have been just fine when calling in and requesting this from EXP agents. Gate agents are by no means the only ones who can or know how to do this. Might have been a bad AAgent or perhaps a problem with how you were phrasing the request?

24. snowpuff

snowpuff Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anything is possible! After all, this is air travel :)

pcarol likes this.
  25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    While the gate agents might have fixed the issue on this flight, might be good to confirm that they've updated all your other reservations as well. Just in case.

pcarol and snowpuff like this.