Applying GPUs to a two-person reservation

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Biggles209, May 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another question relating to the upgrade algorithm.

If you have a two-person reservation (both 1K), and you apply 2 GPUs to it, and one RN seat is released (assuming that this reservation is at the top of the list), does one person get the upgrade or is the reservation skipped because there are not enough seats?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK it is skipped. If you split the reservation then it can be processed one at a time.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does splitting the reservation into two PNRs preserve the wait list positions?

4. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, WA, I've split it. As there is an LH segment, I called to make sure that the split had been processed correctly. The agent confirmed that the reservation would have been skipped if only one seat was released.

As far as I know, when you split a reservation the original PNR keeps its date, and the new one has the current date. So, if there is any prioritizing by date on the waitlist, they may get separated.

5. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new PNR has the current date, but the ticket associated with it retains the original date. I attempted to change a PNR split yesterday from a 5 day old reservation, and was asked for the $150 change fee - presumably based on the ticket date. So, if the waitlist is based on ticket date, the positions will be preserved.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait list is based on the date that the upgrade is requested. The real question is whether splitting it requires requesting the upgrade again or if the previous request sticks.

7. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both reservations show the waitlisted segments correctly, and I called a couple of times to check. Both agents said that the requests were still in place.

They also said that they could not see the waitlist as a whole, so there was no way of knowing where you are until 24 hours prior to departure. I am 90% sure that on the old UA system you could check where you were at any time.