Applying for Continental and United CC?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by FlyingBear, Sep 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So with the merger of the two airlines almost done but their distinctive CCs still available, would it make sense to apple for both to get the points in both programs that will soon be one? Am I missing something here? Right now there is a 60k and 40k offer out there (so realistically, 80k between the two), which isn't too bad especially since the first year's fee is not charged.

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that Chase (which issues both cards) is usually stingy about issuing cards too close together in time. So, don't try to apply for both at once. Spread them out at least a month or more. Also, be aware that reports are going around of a new United card for 60,000 miles coming out next week.

3. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard there is success applying for both on the same day and it is one hit on the credit report? But I guess with anything, YMMV.

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You are thinking of Citi, not Chase

5. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for setting me straight. I knew it was one of the banks. :)

6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I heard. My understanding is that Chase rarely gives more than 2 cards at a time. I've gotten 2 at the same time before, but that was ~4 years ago. The 60k mile offer I read elsewhere in the forum about and I suspect that it's the same as the one I am getting already through United. Then there is also 80k point Priority Club offer (also Chase) that might be of better value that 30k of continental miles. Choices choices.

7. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 4 Chase cards. Two I received years ago and two that I received 4 months apart. My latest one has the lowest credit limit, lol. I got it for the miles, nothing else. :)

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of people jumped on this earlier this year when both cards were offerring 50K bonuses. Since, as others have mentioned, you usually need at least 3-6 months between applications, you're not likely to get both cards if you start now.

9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well damn, I should've crawled out of my cave earlier :(

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    May I suggest applying for the United MP Select Visa first? I don't know what the current bonus is, but I think it's likely to be the first to get phased out.

The Continental OP card and the new United Explorer card are essentially the same thing. It's been stated elsewhere that customers who already have the CO card will not be allowed to apply for the Explorer card and will be invited to have their accounts transitioned. So, since that card is sticking around, you can apply for it six months from now and it will still be there.

11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Last year I received both cards, United and Continental about 6 weeks apart. I have heard of folks getting them even closer. There are threads discussing this on FT. So, it still is possible to get both. The question is how close. It is a YMMV situation as some folks are denied when they apply for too many cards too closely. Do you have a prior relationship with Chase?

I would wait until next week and see if the rumors of the 60,000 United card are true.
    And keep doing research before deciding on timing.

12. elonepb

elonepb Active Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, I have a Continental World MasterCard currently and I applied for the OnePass Plus because I like the benefits. Was denied and told I already have a card. Also told I can't even upgrade into the OnePass Plus. Makes no sense, and I'm thinking if I call back and get someone different, it'll be a different story.

13. ssedha

ssedha Silver Member

Status Points:
    I already have the United Mileage Plus Visa Signature. It's not the select. But I hate to apply for another credit card and take a hit on my credit... I wish there was a way to just transition over to the new card and still get the bonus. Would be awesome. I do like the benefits of the Explorer Card. But the Select card gives you EQM's (max 5000), and I think the Explorer does not. Is that correct???

gomike likes this.
  14. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an fyi, my wife closed her Continental card, then a few months later (August) re-applied (Continental) and received the card but got a letter stating she received the bonus once and would not receive it for that card. I had done the same thing earlier in the year - with a bit longer between the two cards and did not have an issue. So you might need to wait a bit if you are re-applying for a card you choose to cancel.

15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I understand from reading both cards' descriptions