Applying for Citi AAdvantage Cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by tzoom84, Oct 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed Citi offers several variants of the AAdvantage bonus for personal cards:

1. Citi Platinum Select / Aadvantage World Mastercard
    2. Citi Platinum Select American Airlines Personal Visa
    3. Citi Gold / Aadvantage World Mastercard
    4. Citi Gold Aadvantage Personal Visa
    Can someone clarify the deal with these? If I apply for #1, can I also apply for #2? Do I have to wait for a period of time between:
    • applying for same card (I heard 18 months), vs.
    • applying for a variant on a card
    Thanks for your help!

tondoleo and Kalboz like this.
  2. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am curious about this as well...does having the Platinum Visa preclude you from the Mastercard?

3. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe you can't have the same product anymore aka you cant apply #1 or #2 at the same time...personally i got the Platinum MC in february and the Gold Visa in august.instant approval for both(same for my wife)
    As for the 18 month wait:that applies if you churn the same card.so basically you get #1,close it after a while,then you apply for it again

4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife applied to both Platinum products and got them within 10 days of each other just a month ago ... bonuses were 100K AA miles total plus the spend.

I got the Visa (again), but the AA MC application was turned down.

tondoleo likes this.
  5. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can only Apply for 1 personal and 1 Business card every 60 Days with Citi and as far as i understand for AAdvantage only once aproximately every 18 months with a few excepcions( Recently i was able to apply for visa platinum 50K AA miles and 9 days later applied and approved again for the same exact card This oppurtunity has since ended)

Kalboz likes this.
  6. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone.
    I applied for on the same day, and was approved for, #2 and #3 above back in May of this year. I attempted to get #1 yesterday thinking it was allowable (before this post) as a different product.

I called for reconsideration and they stated that the promotion is an offer for first time cardholders for any AAdvantage product. So I probably can't get any of these for another 18 months. Bummer. Wish I wasn't so eager and I wouldn't have ended up wasting a hard inquiry. :)

Kalboz likes this.
  7. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification on this...I would have been out a hard inquiry for going after the MC.