Applying for CC's for other people...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Jun 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being the resident "expert" in my area, some friends and neighbors have asked me to apply for some credit cards for them. (I'm their financial adviser so I have all their info already). It's obviously much faster for me to apply for the CSP then for them because I'm more familiar with the whole process/application.

My question is would banks like see 40 cards being applied for from the same IP address and then I can have some problems or if I go incognito would that solve that issue?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question, incognito would be the same ip address. I'd spread them out over a few weeks, not more than one or two per company day.

As a fudicuary is it ok for you to sign up for debt for them? Just wondering. We have booking advisors, I could see a lot of demand for credit assistance, tieing it to a advisor fee structure would be one way of making it possible.

MX likes this.
  3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I'd be signing them up as a friend or consultant outside our financial relationship with them signing a contract giving me permission to do so.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you think would be the best way to do it besides for going to each person's house?

Kalboz likes this.
  5. justinxjx

justinxjx Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can use a VPN, or the Tor browser to trick the ip address.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any security issues with Starbucks?

Kalboz likes this.
  8. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never heard of a TOR browser or VPN

Kalboz likes this.
  9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personal credit applications don't really have online provisions for an agent or representative. Suppose you tried to sign up someone else for a CC by phone or in person. Do you think any lender would accept your application without proper documentation or at all? I seriously doubt it. So if you do the same online, you'd be illegally impersonating the applicant.

Ethically it should be ok as a free favor for a blood relative or a very close friend, who's expected to be in your life forever. Otherwise you're assuming a lot of responsibility, and things can go wrong.

10. justinxjx

justinxjx Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the Tor Browser Bundle (TBB)?

The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked.

A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network, such as the Internet. It enables a computer to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if it were directly connected to the private network, while benefitting from the functionality, security and management policies of the private network.[1] This is done by establishing a virtual point-to-point connection through the use of dedicated connections, encryption, or a combination of the two.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    You don't necessarily need these if you have some fiduciary agreement with the other parties that grants you permission to apply on their behalf, but if you are concerned about the banks knowing the IP that you used to apply, these would mask your location. Alternatively, if you were going to apply at Starbucks for example (or any other unsecure network), having a VPN would prevent anyone else on Starbucks' network from snooping on the data that you send in the application.

rodeojones likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the banks' application sites use https and thus the network traffice between the browser and the bank's server is SSL encrypted without the use of VPN even n an open network like Starbucks'.

justinxjx likes this.