Application in Limbo for new CSP card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by squinlavin, Mar 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. squinlavin

squinlavin Member

Status Points:
    http://imgur.com/Wyhxpso

I was instantly approved yesterday for the Citi AAdvantage executive.
    Instantly approved for the Chase Hyatt
    When I hit apply for the CSP I received the above message stating
    "
    Watch your mailbox; we'll contact you within 7 to 10 days to let you know what we've decided. If we approve your application, we'll also send your card and other important information in the mail.

Please note that, in some circumstances, it can take up to 30 days to reach a decision. There's no need to resubmit your application; we'll contact you as soon as we can."

I called the recon line and they saw the Hyatt card but couldn't see anything about the CSP card. I've never had an app in limbo like this. I previously was approved for two Southwest cards Oct 1 and a Freedom card back in 2010. Credit Score of 760.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has nothing to do with your score or credit worthiness (well, at least not directly). You have probably maxed out on the total size of the credit that Chase is willing to extend to you across your cards at this time. You will very likely be approved but they will likely keep your total credit among the various cards the same by decreasing your credit line (CL) elsewhere to make room under the cap for the CSP. If they do approve you, they will send you a letter by snail mail explaining what they did. That is why it may take up to 4 weeks. I was instantly approved for the Chase UA Explorer, Chase Hyatt, Chase United Club, and then when I applied for the Chase Marriott Rewards, I got the message that you just got. Then 3 weeks later I was approved. The CL on my Hyatt was initially $28K. They cut it down to $18K and then approved the Marriott visa for a $10K CL.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can try calling Chase again, wait a few days call again, etc. Or just let time pass and see what happens. Up to you.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Under the circumstances that I described, it is not a good idea to call at all. They have not declined OP's application of this CC; the review is just taking longer, which they already indicated it would. I got impatient and called them, and I was sorry I did because the response I got was the one I should have expected: We'll contact you when a determination has been made (meaning do not call us, we'll call you).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. murphbc

murphbc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really? I have always called when I've gotten this message and when I ask if there is anything I can do to help speed up the process I have been given the option of closing a card or transferring credit between accounts and get instant approval over the phone after that. I have found chase to be pretty easy with these call and the. I don't have to wait to find out what they decided to do. I also have more control over which card to decrease the credit limit.

6. squinlavin

squinlavin Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for all of the replies, I called this morning, they told me to reapply since if they weren't seeing it in their system the app didn't get through. I reapplied, was initially declined due to the reasons stated by NYCUA1K (over my total available credit line from chase) After calling and explaining my reasons for wanting they card they closed a Southwest card I opened last year and shifted that CL to my newly approved CSP.

Thank you all for your replies though. For future reference if anyone is reading this thread at a later date it was the lack of any info in their system that led me to reapply and only after their service reps told me to. After that I was approved so those of you who have an app in "limbo" try to see if the bank has any data on you actually applying.

gconnery and NYCUA1K like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I was not offered the option to select how I wanted to shift my CLs to accommodate the new card I had applied for. In fact, the reason I had called was to explain why I wanted the Marriott Rewards card, but I got the distinct sense that they already knew why based on the other loyalty cards that I had (3 UA, 1 Hyatt; no CSP or Ink). They simply told me that the review was taking a bit longer. Then a short time later I received the approval letter and the card, with an explanation of why the review took as long as it did -- they were trying to determine how to best distribute the CLs to accommodate the new card. It is good know that Chase does allow some folks to decide how to shuffle their CLs.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    The conventional wisdom, and certainly what I've experienced, is Chase is always happy to shift credit around if that will let you get the card. Course I've also had them bounce me for too many credit inquiries etc and that isn't fixable with shifting credit around. Though sometimes another call and a different analyst means a different person looking at it and you get approved after a previous denial. YMMV.

squinlavin likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truth is they make money when they put a card in play.
    People are churning the 100,000 AA offer,
    Beats me, someone has got to be making a buck,
    I'd hate to be there when all the dead beats head for the doors,
    Like the housing game, every fool was buying a home without a job,
    Bunch of clown will be getting their CC stolen and a lot of fraud charges, anyone losing some GCs.