Apple's mind-bogglingly greedy and evil license agreement

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gargoyle, Aug 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Apple's mind-bogglingly greedy and evil license agreement

jbcarioca, marcwint55, Tenmoc and 7 others like this.
  2. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just one more reason I refuse to purchase any Apple products... I have nothing against their technology, I actually think it is superior in many ways to their competition, but I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid and buy into their anti-consumer marketing...

jbcarioca, marcwint55, kwai and 3 others like this.
  3. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apple later clarified that the restrictions on use only apply to the .ibooks format exported by the app. The plain-text or PDF version of a book generated with the software can be distributed through any channel you like.

I personally figured that this was their intention even while reading the journalists' initial knee-jerk reactions. (They were initially claiming rights to the *output* of the program, not the *input.*)

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They put a lot of care and effort into writing the EULA's. Once found out they can easily say "oops, we didn't mean that" and change the terms, but they can also hope to slip lots of things through.

I've seen other reports on ways they change terms after the fact, so when an update is pushed through it slips in new TOC's that change the game. Someone in NZ is trying to sue them for forcing him to pay in advance for trial versions of iTunes stuff, when that wasn't in the original EULA.

jbcarioca, marcwint55 and Espan like this.
  5. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree 100% - I just hope apple doesn't come to my house now and try take away my Samsung Galaxy phone...

jbcarioca, Tenmoc, kwai and 3 others like this.
  6. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree 100%. I stopped using Apple and iTunes years and years ago. Their Rube Goldberg-ian restrictions against me using music I bought on multiple devices that I owned was the straw that broke my camel's back, but there are just so many reasons that the trade off in operating system elegance and ease is not worth it for me... (even though I sometimes spend hours banging my head against the wall dealing w/ my inelegant and uneasy alternatives...)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, re-hashing a corrected/updated story from January? Agenda much?

jbcarioca, Tenmoc and ACMM like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be too stupid to use it properly, but I have never found anything elegant about iTunes.

jbcarioca, viguera and Espan like this.
  9. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Obama wants to control my health insurance!!!!! I just hope he doesn't come to my house and take my kidneys!!!!!"

10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to worry, Obama is no genius, unlike apple employees who actually are. Seen the Genius training manual apples employees have to endure?

Horse and jbcarioca like this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having been through a significant amount of training both inside and outside of Apple (I no longer work there, I'm at a startup now, and I wasn't in the Retail side but I dealt with them often) I'm not sure why this merits a snarky response.

Apple trains employees on customer interactions and good customer service. Isn't that the number one complaint by consumers - lack of service?

Apple expects happy customers to buy, and encourages retail staff to sell. Duh, winning?

Apple pays attention to training, delivering modularized components that are focused on a particular aspect of the job in a curriculum that matches the role the employee is expected to perform? Ideal from an HR and employee growth perspective.

Again, I'm not sure what the snark is supposed to prove - other than you have a bone to pick against Apple.

Am I an Apple apologist? No. Apple certainly does things I don't agree with. But they make a profit and have [one of, if not the highest] ACSI scores of any company - especially their market competitors. Seems like a good combination.

12. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    But thinking it is superior IS drinking the koolaid.

Horse, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    They can't and won't do that. the 1B plus is to cover devices already sold.

jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Figures ACMM likes this post. :D

jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  15. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't disagree with this Mike except so many "genius" workers look down on people. Apple may train better than many companies (i know a ton that don't train at all) but i can understand why many feel their training has failed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tenmoc - While I can see your point, and understand how you may feel, one must agree that most of the technology we enjoy today on Android devices (my device of choice) is directly attributable to the development of the iPhone and iPad... READ: Samsung V. Apple http://techland.time.com/2012/08/24...e-vs-samsung-patent-case/?iid=tl-main-feature.

My reference to "Drinking the Kool-Aid" referred to buying their products. In other words, believing so wholeheartedly in their products that I would lay out my hard earned cold hard cash over another "like-product" which is similar in design and functionality. Since my device of choice is an Android (Inspire 4G) and will continue to be Android, in my opinion, I did not drink, nor will I be drinking, the Apple flavored Kool-Aid.

Sincerely,

Jim Jones ;)

jbcarioca, marcwint55 and Tenmoc like this.
  17. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh i understand and agree. I always want apple pushing things forward. Do i believe they got patents from a stupid patent office for things that they had no business getting a patent on, of course. Do i believe apple really stole most of what they did patent, of course.

but i will fully admit that the two or three tech choices will do each other good moving things forward.

jbcarioca, marcwint55 and garyst16 like this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I recall correctly, one of the complaints was about the iOS launcher (home screen) being copied by Samsung/Android. If that's correct, I'd like to think that Apple was at least "inspired" by what PalmOS had since 1996. A bunch of icons representing programs, arranged in a grid, and click/tappable to launch the program.

marcwint55, garyst16 and Tenmoc like this.
  19. sriracha

sriracha Silver Member

Status Points:
    anyone who's worked big box retail before can not honestly say Apple's retail training and strategy is a failure, or even close to failure.

i worked part time at Banana Republic and BofA in college... any of their regional sales managers would give their right eye to have their employees achieve half of what an Apple retail employee does. i'd stake my life to say retail + restaurants attracts the worst job applicants.

assuming Apple works with a similar pool... i'm amazed at their results.

marcwint55 and emajy like this.
  20. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    had you bought into their stock, you might not feel the same way.

Espan and ACMM like this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Issues TMoc? :D I like Apple products :) I buy Apple products :) Lots of them for myself and family ... :) Happy consumer here and their kool-aid is mighty tasty :D ;)

Tenmoc likes this.
  22. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has helped my retirement fund immensely :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  23. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    many of my clients feel the same way.

ACMM likes this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am curious to know who some of those people actually are. I personally have not actually met any of them, although I do read comments from several and I know they exist.
    Frankly, I am not an apologist for Apple.

However, I travel globally. Apple is the only company that gives customer service anywhere in the world without requiring receipts or refusing service to products not purchased in-country.

I have gone to Apple Stores in The US, Brazil and France to ask questions and/or solve a problem (so far all of my own doing) and have found them very helpful and considerate.

I have not had a "blue screen of death" on an Apple. I have had one program repeatedly shut down and require database reinstallation and rebooting; that program: Microsoft Entourage.

Otherwise I realize I pay extra for Apples vs generic PC's.

My iPhone seems so much easier than the Samsung Galaxy III and Nokia Lumia 900 that I also regularly use (owned by family members) that I am happy to pay more for it.

Nobody is yet really competitive with an iPad, so... there soon will be alternatives.

On balance I find myself having lots of Apples because they always work, have great customer service and are easy to use.

As for license agreements, I cannot see Apple as in any way different than any other technology leader. That does not make their practices 'nice', but it does make the quite reasonable given the situation. Would you not aggressively defend your unique designs? ...even if there were a legitimate question about intent to defraud?

25. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    DJP_707 and misman like this.