Apple's ‘iTravel’ for mobiles to make airport check-in delays history

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Jul 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://zeenews.india.com/business/n...ke-airport-check-in-delays-history_55632.html

Software giant Apple has proposed a new check-in system ‘iTravel’ to reduce passenger headaches that they endure while visiting an airport.

Apple claims that with the new check-in system, it could make the experience quicker and easier by allowing passengers to verify their identities at check-in and security areas simply by swiping their phones over a sensor.

A patent has reportedly been issued for the system, called the iTravel, which would use Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to transfer data between two devices when positioned close together, ultimately streamlining a trip to the airport.

“Juggling multiple items while presenting a paper ticket and identification is often inconvenient and may lead to forgotten items, lost tickets and/or identification, and other hassles,” News.com.au quoted the patent, as stating.

Read More: http://zeenews.india.com/business/n...ke-airport-check-in-delays-history_55632.html

Switch2 and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's all about convenience, it's a great idea in general.

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need to get an iphone.

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea, but what airports would invest in sw and hw for this when it's only for iPhones? This won't go anywhere unless apple opens its technology to other vendors... Which will likely not happen.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    How would swiping a phone verify identity? Couldn't I just steal someone's phone? There would need to be a photo of the person somewhere, and it can't be stored locally on the phone because that would be too easy to hack (just replace one photo with another or use a fake screenshot cobbled together in Photoshop). So either Apple can create some NFC system that calls up a photo ID stored in a remote database, or we can just use existing driver licenses and passports. This seems like an overly complicated solution that does not address the problem, if there is one. ID checks are the fastest part of TSA screening.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My iPhone 4S doesn't have NFC. My Android Galaxy Nexus does.

Indeed. It seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

emajy likes this.
  7. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just like mobile boarding passes are not available in all lines. I can hear the TSA agent saying "I need to turn the equipment on or sorry you need to go in the other line we don't have the equipment here."