Apple Stores USA - Iphone repairs...?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, Jun 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a list of standard repair(s) that US Apple stores conduct on Iphones....?

One of my clients told me that during a recent trip to the USA, he was able to get an Apple Store to fix the back cover of his Iphone for free.

Wondering if anybody here has experience with this and/or if there is something on the internet that is published by Apple in terms of what these stores do and don't regarding Iphone repairs...?

Thanks
    Alex

2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a document but it is Apple internal use only. I do have a little bit of experience/information. If it's under warranty and it clears the "not physical abuse nor water damage" tests they'll usually just swap your phone with another one. Often they'll assist you in recovering your contacts etc. from the cloud and, if applicable, help you to register the replacement with the carrier. There are very few repairs they'll actually do on the spot while you wait though they've been known to ask you come back in a few hours or the next day. I'd say >90% of the time you'll just get a replacement phone and be out of the store in 20 minutes.

IDGflygirl, Max M and Gaucho like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... but what is the procedure if your phone is no longer under warranty....?

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's easily repairable they'll do it in-store, but it's a case-by-case basis. I'm sorry I don't know of a procedure document for that case though it must exist. If I run across one I'll let you know. My understanding is it's usually too expensive to repair and they'll sell you a refurbished one at a substantial discount.

What's wrong with it?

5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.... you've done a lot with your posts, please don't go through more trouble.

I have an old 1st generation Iphone 4 that is out of warranty... the back cover clear plastic is shattered. That's only cosmetic but the real issues are that three of the buttons on the phone no longer work properly. The buttons in question are the Volume UP (down works), the ring/vibrate switch, and also the top button (the ON/OFF) no longer works properly. I say doesn't work properly because its not that they don't work altogether, rather that they don't work if you depress them normally... however, Ive figured out that if I flex the phone (ie. if I press up with my thumbs in the middle of the phone and depress the ends as if I wanted to break it in half) and press these buttons at the same time, I can get them to respond.

Scary process yes... but it works... this is the only way I can actually switch the phone or or off... other than the mentioned "false contact" of these buttons, the phone works perfectly, and I manipulate the ringer ON/OFF and the volume adjustment by using the Assistive Touch option. It takes more steps and extra work, but it will do for the time being until my new Iphone 5 is delivered to me later next week.

Please note, I don't want to play games with the Apple support guys and I will tell them the story as it is... I wont walk in and play the usual "I dont know what happened bla bla" when in fact my dog shoved the thing into the swimming pool... I know better than to play these techies that know their stuff.

Ive used the phone hard and its been dropped a couple of times (accidents), it has never had water damage nor has it been purposely abused or dropped forcefully, etc.. My plan is to tell the guys the true story and ask if they can repair it for a reasonable amount, I wont even ask them for anything for free as I don't think Im entitled to demand anything. I would like (If possible and financially feasible) to keep this old phone as a backup.... so I wanted to know what the experience is with similar situations and wondered if they may have a reasonable solution to cases like this.

If the repairs for something like this are just too expensive I will just retire the phone or else leave it as a mobile gaming device for my kids... so all is well.

Thanks for reading and sharing insight....

Alex / Gaucho100K

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OOW is Out Of Warranty.

I suspect since the buttons don't work we'd be looking at the $199 replacement cost, which is probably a little less than the eBay cost.

Gaucho likes this.
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah... yeah, that would make sense. Not sure I would want to invest $199 for a replacement but I guess I will go into an Apple store next time Im in the USA and see what the folks there tell me. Thanks very much for all your help with this.

10. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    But also you might go online on the Apple site and put 'recycle' in the search area then through a 3rd party that is affiliated with Apple you may be able to get some money back for it. I did this with an old Macbook Pro 17" and will do it with my iPad as soon as the new one comes out and then use the apple gift cards (this is what you get) and buy t he new iPad. It's a very simple process as they send you all the packing materials and a fed ex slip too.

bigx0 and Gaucho like this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea... thanks !!! Question... can you do this onsite at an Apple Store..? My trips to the USA are usually 5-10 days long, so don't think that sending things in would work for me... I wonder if you can do a recycle/trade-in when you personally visit an Apple Store...?

12. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard that it is possible but have not tried it myself. If you had a contact in the US you could have everything sent there. It's usually pretty quick. And if you mail the phone in as soon as you landed you may know within 10 days. But you might have to wait for next trip to get apple credit.

Gaucho likes this.
  13. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just read that Apple is doing more repairs vs swapping out phones. For example, a cracked glass was previously a phone swap for $199. Now it's an in-house repair for $149. So the cost is less and you get your same phone back. On the downside, if a phone swap is necessary now it will cost $229.

Gaucho likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.... I will go ahead and try, and then report back.

15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know.... I guess I will have to wait and see if the button issues I have are possible fixes or not.

Thanks again.