Apple iPad Killer: 10 Reasons Why It Will Never See the Light of Day

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by ACMM, Oct 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting view point - I am sure many would not agree ...

Link is here

The tablet space is heating up. Companies from Apple to Amazon, and every other firm in-between, are lining up to see who can be the leader in the extremely lucrative space. So far, the leader is Apple's iPad 2. The company's tablet, which comes in at a starting price of $499, is the also the device by which all others are compared. So far, no single tablet has been able to come close to matching the iPad's sales. Even so, as new devices hit store shelves, many of them are called "iPad Killers" by fans, pundits and even analysts. Most recently, Amazon's Kindle Fire was called an iPad Killer because of its cheap price. Many agree with that sentiment, saying that the tablet has a chance to knock the iPad down from its place of prominence. Others say there isn't any chance of that happening. Either way, who cares? The fact is, if one looks at the tablet market, Apple's iPad is dominant and will remain so, according to industry researchers, for the foreseeable future. The idea that a device can only be successful if it "kills" the iPad 2 is laughable. Take a look at this eWEEK slide show to find out why there is no such thing as an iPad killer, and why that's a good thing.

jbcarioca, Tenmoc, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not interesting...... the real beef would be, where is the iPhone killer.... that would be something worth looking at....

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, find some information on that so we can read it and I am sure it will be interesting! ;)

jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you will find this article interesting .... then again ... maybe not :rolleyes: :p

New iPhone Conceals Sheer Magic

What’s in a name?

A lot, apparently. Apple’s new iPhone is called the iPhone 4S. But what people really wanted was the iPhone 5.
    The rumors online had predicted the second coming — or, rather, the fifth coming. It would be wedge-shaped! It would be completely transparent! It would clean your basement, pick you up at the airport and eliminate unsightly blemishes!
    Instead, what showed up was a new iPhone that looks just like the last one: black or white, glass front and back, silver metal band around the sides. And on paper, at least, the new phone does only four new things.
    Link to remainder of article here

jbcarioca, Gaucho and rwoman like this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will go digging...... :p

jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sums it up quite nicely....... we all wanted an Iphone 5... but got a new version of a 4..... still, Apple manages to pre-sell 1 million units on the first day of market..... amazing.... :eek:

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do agree it is outstanding ... I will be getting in line myself soon for the 4S and will also buy the 5 if it comes out next year ... ... I hear Samsung is coming out with an Ice cream sandwich soon

:p

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ask again..... didnt Nokia sign some sort of blockbuster agreement with MicroSoft..???

If anybody had a chance against Apple, I thought that the guys at Nokia with their good hardware could use a proper software platform so I was looking forward to some serious product from this Nokia/MS team...... whats the update there..???

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cannot say I knew about that ... but it appears it was announced in Feb of this year (2011)

Here is the announcement information from the MS website ... unsure if there is more on this or not...

Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership to Build a New Global Mobile Ecosystem

Link

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    [quote="ACMM, post: 845409" I hear Samsung is coming out with an Ice cream sandwich soon:p[/quote]

Tasty news indeed :D

01.jpg

11. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Let the competitors keep on trucking. They are seriously struggling to even getting close to catching up. And by the time they do (if they ever will), Apple has launched a device that will knock everyone's socks of -- again.

I am disappointed that the new iPhone doesn't have 4G though. It's the first Apple device in a while I'm going to take a pass on.

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the rumour mill is already active that the next iPhone drop will be June 2012 .. :) I am running the 3GS so will look to upgrade to the 4S sooner than later - and will likely get the next one after that too :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I already have the iPhone 4 on Verizon, if I was on the 3GS, it would be a totally different story

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I can't wait to buy it. :D (Samsung with ICS)

But interesting article. I agree you don't have to kill something to compete and be successful.

15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    What took you so long to lurk here :p ?

16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you like how VZ held off on releasing a LTE phone until 15 days after the Iphone came to VZ? You know, right when they changed the return policy to only 14 days.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is sometimes hard to remember to use a page on MP that isn't on watched threads.

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought you were maybe a closet iPhoneee ;)

19. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would consider an ipad. But really think even there, i'll stick to android.

For phones, I will never use apple unless something severely changes.

jbcarioca and Espan like this.
  20. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apple's proprietary schtick is maddening. And the premium paid for a bit of convenienc is too high. I'm waiting for my last Apple device to die (an iPod), have stopped using iTunes entirely, and am happy and tech savvy enough to use open-source and alternative OSs and hardware. That said, thank you Steve Jobs, for everything...

Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was counting on both 4G and dual sims. neither came so I too am giving a pass. Serious international travelers really need at least two sims, preferably three but so far only Chinese and a couple low-end Nokia's do it. So I still carry around five sims and live with slow downloads. Not only that but you still cannot store numbers on sims, which also is not good for international travelers, if only just for dialing prefix conventions.

Count me unimpressed, especially after installing IOS5 on my iPad and iPhone. It worked for me better than it did for many others, so I read and hear. My essential MilePoint app works fine.:D

Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  22. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho, jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen on the dual SIMs.... lets hope they have this for the 5.

I will give this new phone a pass for now..... if prices drop quickly, I may get a Canadian friend to get me one of these from Calgary and pass my current one on to my better half.... :D

Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Poster who claim to work for a maker of iPhone/iPad innards said Apple had commissioned dual sim supplies. Thus, widespread speculation, mostly in Asia, that the iPhone 5 would have it. Maybe it still will. I will wait hopefully. I wager that if they do that it will be a total sellout among international travelers, European travelers, and Chinese domestic travelers and a non-event elsewhere. That seems to be a rather wealthy and new-tech-adopter group so it should be a lucrative decision.

Again, based on Chinese reports the incremental hardware cost is about 4 cents US but there is incremental programming to permit dual-sim selection and dual address book coordination. Even without the dual sim the dual address book coordination would probably make me buy it. It is an unbelievable pain to maintain prefixes and domestic records for five countries, not to mention the problem of sorting through duplicates and remembering my codes between them.

AArrgghhh!!!:mad: Why does not anybody make it easy for international travelers. I am really tired of the hassles. Credit cards from four countries; phones from five; two passports. This rant needs a thread for itself!

Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  25. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why Nokia doesnt see this and come out with a high end phone with dual SIMs I dont get... especially since they are strong in the Asian market and this feature would sell very well in Asia me thinks...

jbcarioca likes this.