Apple iPad 2 report - one month with the iPad 2

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by JSpira, Apr 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had my iPad 2 for just about a month so I felt it was time to write down some observations. I've taken the iPad 2 on two overseas trips now and I used it extensively during these trips so my perspective is, in great part, from travelling.

My device's configuration is the 64 GB model in black with 3G and the blue Smart Cover.

With the original iPad, I got closer to abandoning paper magazines and newspapers. The iPad apps for the Economist and Wall Street Journal are excellent and are better than the paper version. The New York Times, on the other hand, is barely so-so (something Steve Jobs has publicly commented on as well, I might add).

The one thing that kept me from reading things on the iPad for longer periods of time was weight. The iPad was heavy, esp. compared to a Kindle. Clearly these are different devices but my arm would get tired after holding iPad 1 for a while.

The new iPad is 33% slimmer and weighs 15% less. Not a huge reduction but my arm doesn't get tired as fast with it so I can read more.

Regarding the Smart Cover, I will quote from my review in Executive Road Warrior magazine:

There are at least a few companies that are offering Smart Covers (one is made out of wood) and I look forward to seeing how Apple's Smart Cover can be improved upon.

My complete review is online here for those who are interested.

Happy to address any questions from anyone here of course.

[​IMG]

sdcarver, BamaGirl, Cholula and 9 others like this.
  2. BAppelt
    Original Member

BAppelt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only had mine for about a week but after getting used to it, I've put my little netbook away. There are some web pages that I go to that I now have to use their mobile sites due to the flash content but not many. I'm sure that as I get into it I'll find it even more to like.

jbcarioca and JSpira like this.
  3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    True re:NY Times.....still not worth the money now charged.

jbcarioca and JSpira like this.
  4. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never used a netbook (except for briefly testing a few) as my trusty X301 ThinkPad is almost netbook size and - with a 256 GB SSD - is very speedy. I used to read a lot more on the ThinkPad but I do that now on the iPad. However, when it comes to typing anything longer than a few words, I am back on the ThinkPad.

jbcarioca and Chimpy like this.
  5. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for a great review Jspira! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!

I know some were mentioned in the review here, but in your opinion(s), what app(s) would be invaluable for travelers? (maybe an idea for a new thread on MP?) :)

jbcarioca, Chimpy and JSpira like this.
  6. BAppelt
    Original Member

BAppelt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know what you mean, for any real work, I'm on my work issued Dell 4200.

Naptimes, jbcarioca and JSpira like this.
  7. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I´ve been thinking about that but each individual´s needs are so different it´s hard to quantify. I do plan to gather together my favorite apps, however, in a review.

torbster likes this.
  8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been waiting for a replacement iPad 2 from the local Apple store for a little over a week now, so if you ignore my wifi problem the new iPad is a nice upgrade though probably not worth the trouble if I was going to do it all over again. It is nice though how quickly the WSJ app starts up.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still waiting for mine to come in, but since I have had the iPad 1 since day one, I am not really missing all that much (certainly not enough to get up at the crack of dawn to see if my local ToysRUs had them today).

I haven't decided yet what cover to buy, but I don't think it will be the original Apple smart cover, because I don't think it's all that smart to leave the back/sides completely unprotected. With the iPad 1 I bought the original slim Apple case and it works well for me. I don't worry about it falling off or the back or sides of the device getting banged up when I "throw" the iPad into my backpack.

10. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review JSpira, it is great to hear from someone that has had one for more than a few hours and also someone that uses it for travel.

JALPak and jbcarioca like this.
  11. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    My pleasure, Chimpy. That´s why I waited and didn´t write something based on a few hours of use. It wouldn´t be of very much use if one were to do that so I appreciate your comment greatly.

12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I want to add to the chorus of thanks JSpira. I have been debating about switching to the IPad2, and now have the iPad 1 and KindleDX, so you have duplicated my questions. I am grateful but it seems my pocketbook is not. My order will go in quite quickly now, thanks to you.:cool:

Chimpy likes this.
  13. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is already a thread called Favorite Travel Apps: iOS in the same forum as this thread. Check it out.

Lufthansa Flyer and torbster like this.
  14. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the same concern about the cover, and wonder if any of the protectors include the on/off that the apple cover provides

15. Naptimes
    Original Member

Naptimes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two weeks with mine and I love it. Can't wait to travel with it...

16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love my ipad, has replaced carrying a laptop when I travel and it works flawlessly abroad. Its almost replaced my laptop at home as well.

Hopefully anyone traveling to Israel wont have their confiscated as had been done in the past based on Israeli paranoia of transmitting strength of the wireless antenna!

Plus the app store has some great travel apps that are so much better on the ipad than on a smart phone. Flight track pro is one app that immediately comes to mind

17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get a good flight tracker like flight track pro (I like it because I can watch the same flights everyday since it has an auto re-new feature each day and imports automatically from tripit.com

I also have intellicast on my ipad, imho, the best weather app

I love the fact the ipad lets you add bookmarks as homescreen icons so its easy to set up short cuts to expertflyer, webflyer and of course MP. I have Kayak's app for searching for flight deals as well as ITA, tripit, checkmytrip, and farecompare as my other apps for travel related topics.

torbster likes this.
  18. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the report! Can't wait to get mine!!!

19. Dorlee
    Original Member

Dorlee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought a new iPad, but......I won't get my hands on it for a month. My daughter, who lives in BWI, got one yesterday. She is setting it up for me. A month from today, she flys down to see me, and supposedly brings the new iPad with her, for our upcoming trip to Africa. She is already so in love with it, that I am not sure I will ever get my hands on it. :)

20. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    She lives in BWI? Wonder what her rent is ? :D

21. Dorlee
    Original Member

Dorlee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I should not have referred to Baltimore as BWI!!:)

22. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    There really isn´t much if anything to have someone set up on an iPad. That is actually the point of the device.

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I assume it still has the silly activation process via iTunes?

I remember getting some weird error message when I activated my last year (which ultimately seemed to come from Apple's SAP backend system). And I know several non-computer-savvy people who got utterly confused by the process.

When I get my iPad 2, my current iPad will go to my parents, and I will definitely fly it over there to get it "set up" for them.

24. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an iPod touch and a netbook and am debating over whether to get an iPad. I suspect that I'd still travel with the netbook in case I need to get any real work done (or getting an external keyboard for the iPad) and would likely take the iPod as well (for when I'm running around during the day with just a small bag), so the iPad almost seems superfluous. But somehow, I still want one...

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Superfluous? No, no, no... they all serve different purposes.

I am currently on a carry-on only week-long trip with the following gadgetry:

- MacBook Air (to get some work done)
    - iPad 1 (to watch movies, read news/FT/MP, email from bed...)
    - iPhone 4 (phone, email, light surfing)
    - iPod Nano (music during flight, gym)

If I had to leave one item behind, it would be the Nano, since the iPhone could in theory do everything it does... but the little guy is so tiny that it just doesn't matter weight- and space-wise. And I prefer not to run down my iPhone's battery listening to music.

On shorter trips where I don't expect to do much typing I leave the MacBook Air behind. The iPad has been on every since trip I have gone on since I bought it a year ago.

jw3711 likes this.