Apple’s secret iTravel app for the iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, May 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ausbt.com.au/apple-s-secret-itravel-app-for-the-iphone-and-ipad

Deep in the skunkworks of its Silicon Valley headquarters Apple is working on an iPhone and iPad app that could revolutionise travel, especially for business travellers and other frequent flyers.
    Codenamed iTravel, the app may do for the travel industry what Apple’s iTunes Store did for the music industry – and seek to enthrone the iPhone and iPad as the traveller's tech of choice.
    A key feature of iTravel is to enable paperless ticketing and wireless check-in systems similar to Qantas’ recently-launched Next-Generation Check-in.
    Those and other RFID features would rely on short-range Near Field Communications (NFC) technology being built into the device, which means we might not see iTravel arrive until the release of an NFC-enabled iPhone 5 or iPad 3.

Redcap, Bob Smolinsky, Chimpy and 3 others like this.
  2. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Robbiedeluxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know NFC is an "old" technology and that other phones already have this embedded; but I think we'll have to wait for Apple to finally create a killer-app on top of NFC with a good user experience – and I really hope iTravel could be it.

3. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If this is true it will be at least 24 months away as the next iPhone will not even be 4G. rumors are new iPhone in September and then figure at least a yer after that.

4. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a big Apple fan in general, but this looks pretty impressive. A lot of these concepts I look at and think "that's how it should work!"

However, I will be very surprised if we see this any time soon. If they do move forward with everything on the Apple side, it will still be difficult to implement everything else involved (NFC at check-in, security, gates, etc). The current use of mobile boarding passes is still in the works, so replacing that infrastructure won't be so easy.

You would have to imagine that other handset makers and mobile developers will try to get in on the system and Apple doesn't usually play nice in terms of compatibility, so there's the potential for different airlines/airports/nations to implement competing proprietary systems.

And I am sure the Privacy people will have a few things to say about Apple knowing not only where you are, but where you plan to be, when you plan to be there, and what temperature you want the room when you get there.

4G and NFC are not related...are you just saying that 4G is more of a priority, so they won't implement NFC before that?

5. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    4G needs to roll out first as there are current Android models that already support 4G. 4G effects almost every smartphone user. NFC is running behind 4G. Its all about more radios in the phone. I am hoping that the next iPhone will be a world phone. I currently am on sprint so I don't have an iPhone but I am a Mac user.

As for the privacy issues... Amex know where I am and where I am going and possibly with family members are with me. I would like them to have my room ready when I arrive, at the correct temperature and my favorite tequila shot pour when I get there.:cool:

kellio likes this.
  6. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is very cool and promising, as are pretty much all Apple products. If fully implemented and the 3rd parties go along with it, could make for a very easy and smooth trave experience. And, you wouldn't have to bring printouts of itins and/or load same informatin (or access) via multiple existing apps. Good job Apple, you just need to deliver it now.

7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I keep hearing rumors that Apple is pushing for NFC, I keep hearing they won't etc etc etc.
    If there's one company that can make NFC work, its Apple.

8. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was talking with the gal at check in at the EWR Presidents Club, we need an NFC type app or QR code similar to the mobile boarding pass so we can just waltz in without pulling out all the ID, Boarding Pass etc

9. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yeah, NFC is a while away for an iphone but there IS a company working on a cellular radio version of NFC that would enable easy proximate checkins with ANY phone. They are currently working with VISA

10. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, there is more way than one to skin a cat. An NFC sticker might work, not sure how long it would last. proximity charged RFID don't work too well yet.

12. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting the Quantas link. Very interesting. Going to drive the TSA folks crazy -- nothing to scribble their initials on. :)