Apparently it's hard being a concierge

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by igloocoder, Aug 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or at least it is according to one of them in YHZ. I've overheard her going on about the difficulty of the job and how it's high adrenaline all the time. I don't doubt that it has its moments of stress. Ironically, she's making sure to convey these thoughts to another SE (also a MM apparently) while sitting sitting in the MLL having a coffee....for the last 30+ minutes. Sometimes you just gotta shake your head and have another drink.

tcook052 likes this.
  2. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Operational jobs does have it's challenges and associated stress, but to communicate that out, not sure if it 100% professional

3. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree. The other thing I was wondering about was the use of the lounge by AC staff. I'm guessing that the concierge has some leeway so that they can schmooze, interact, etc, but isn't the use of the MLL by staff prohibited?

4. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i would find dealing with many arrogant business travellors to be stressful. especially the ones who expect everything.

MillionMile likes this.
  5. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wot?! DYKWIA? :p

tcook052 and milestoburn like this.
  6. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    there are many more things i would rather do than be the front man in cases where pax see you as the person that screwed them directly.

MillionMile likes this.
  7. MillionMile
    Original Member

MillionMile Active Member

Status Points:
    Having been in the hospitality industry for over 37 years, I would agree.
    In my industry there is the motto: “the guest is always right”. But in reality it is really the following. Customer service is providing service to customers before, during and after a purchase. Customer service is about treating others as you would like to be treated yourself and customer service is taking care of your customers, their needs and desires in a professional and courteous manner.

While we always to try to please our customers and give them what they want or demand it just isn't always possible. So to overhear a personal conversation of a concierge may have raised an eyebrow, especially when it broaches the norm and by a person with such stature. She should have been more discreet. But I can understand her frustration after having worked at the front line of 5 star hotels. Guests can take a toll on your life and to vent is a stress release that I could understand.

The following is only Hollywood, but it was well said. In the B movie “Maid in Manhattan”, a concierge played by Bob Hoskins says:

“To serve people takes dignity and intelligence, but remember they are only people with money, and although we serve them we are not their Servants, what we do does not define who we are”

Working in the hospitality industry or as a concierge does take a toll on you when day after day those who feel entitled demand more and more of you. Unfortunately you witnessed the wrong side of a professional. But remember, she is not your servant.

8. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    i am one of those that like to communicate/casually and discreetly converse with front line employees to get their feel of the jobs.......

having worked in public transportation, i do understand their stress, hours of work, dealing with customer challenges and sometimes they need someone (like a stranger with no fear of repercussions) to let off some steam........

if they can keep us happy as customer, my take is - perhaps i can make their days a little better too!

rehoult likes this.
  9. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and who might apparently take your photograph.

milestoburn likes this.
  10. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    that is exactly right. get screwed enough by AC and you do what you can so they do not screw you again.

11. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    MHO is it's not professional but that's only MHO and I've encountered much the same on other airlines over the years FWIW.

12. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that the more appropriate thread is "Apparently, it's hard being a passenger!" :)

milchap likes this.
  13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)

14. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, on-duty staff are not permitted to use the lounge.