App-O-Rama Nightmare

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by ericb, Jun 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks,

So decided to try an app-o-rama with good credit (749, always paid off on time, no deliquent accounts)

Here's the order I applied and the outcome so far:

Citi Visa AA Platinum - Strange Error Message? Couldn't tell if it even went through?
    Citi AMEX AA Platinum - Application Pending (used two browser trick on two seperate computers)
    Chase Hyatt - Application Pending (I have a lot of cards with Chase and expect to horse trade)
    Chase BA 100k - Application Pending (Again issue as above, but have a good relationship with Chase so far - and I do understand it's risky to apply for two chase personal cards in the same round, but the offers/platinum status are expiring soon)
    BofA Virgin Atlantic Cardx2 - Application pending on both (I understand from a friend that it is possible to apply for two if you use the rationale that you need to seperate your expenses)
    Barclays - US Air - Approved - Yay

So right now I'm 1 for 7 and not terribly thrilled for it since I don't even have a single account with BofA or Citi. I plan on hitting the reconsideration lines hard and armed with reasons why I need the cards, but since none of the response screens gave me any sort of application reference number, I don't think I can do much until I get some letters in the mail right? Anyone have tactics they recommend rather than just blindly calling in?

alohastephen likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call, ask to check on the status. They should be able to look up by SSN. If you want a reason, you have xxx trip coming up where you would like to use the card.

3. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely, I was expecting apps pending from Chase, but not from Citi or BofA. To be fair I don't have any history with them, but should be in an attractive demographic. I guess I could try the "I'm dissatisfied with my current cc providers" with them. I've heard that "I need to keep personal and work expenses seperate" works well too. Now are their reconsideration lines even open on weekends or do I have to wait til Monday?

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a "nightmare?" Or, just not going as quickly as you hoped?

5. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:

One good bit of advice from the FTG: apply early in the day on a weekday - that way you have all day to call and talk to an analyst. Most CC co's analyst types only work during the week. Getting approval all on one day increases the chance that some of the hard pulls will appear as one instead of many.

That said, the citi app status line 888-201-4523 often can get you approved on the spot especially if you do not have a current card with them or have not for about 18months.

Good luck!

6. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    So my plan is to wait til Monday, call in, ask about the status of my "application" (singular). If they notice the other, I'll use the rationale above and ask to just discuss one card now since I'm running short on time/commuting/whatever. Try to get one approved, hang up call again and try for the other. Does this seem logical?

Also the citi visa gave me a weird error after clicking submit. I'm hoping it still went through, but didn't want to risk potentially THREE apps in one day. Anyone else receive this?

7. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Word of advice, if you got the error message during your two browser trick that application did not go through. You should reapply today(the same day) for that card. Secondly wait it out to see if your approved or not either through snail mail or email. If you call in without a reference number and give them your SS number they'll see both your apps.
    I wouldn't worry too much or call it a "nightmare". It takes a while to get some approvals, and after all, this is just part of the game.

jetsetboy likes this.
  8. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some may still auto-approve on their own, or be simple recon calls. Not a nightmare yet, just a little work ahead of you. The reward is worth it. ;)

YULtide, carwag25 and Espan like this.
  9. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    7 is too rich for my blood. i tightened up a bit around my rear after a couple of months ago when I applied for 4.

10. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year I probably got the same strange error message and applied again.
    Two cards arrived in the mail. Two bonuses posted. Yay!

11. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is all great advice. Thanks folks! I've done smaller churns but this one has me fretting (mostly on the non-auto approvals). I'll wait for the letters then play the game and let you know how it turns out.

Sadly, the Citi same day window has passed, so I'll only be looking at 50k (at most) this round, but the business card is just around the corner...

Thanks again

12. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    So surprisingly enough, everything worked out just fine. Was approved for all 7 cards and had to horse trade my united explorer card away. The browsers did apparently submit both the citi Amex and visa applications (though a second duplicate visa submission got denied - got to remember no double clicking)

Here's the breakdown if anyone is planning a churn soon:
    US air - approved straight away
    Virgin - rep called me to ask why I had applied for two - replied I needed to separate expenses for work and personal use - approved for both
    Citi - took some time but both approvals came via mail
    Chase BA - had to horse trade my united explorer card ( I honestly like the old mileage plus one with 3x and pqms better) and got referred to verification (they will ask about other credit accounts that appear on your credit report and have been open >1 year, so make sure you remember what you have without listing off 20 banks to them)
    Chase Hyatt - called recon line immediately after the ba card and was approved with no strings - verification dept again, but went more smoothly

FWIW: my FAKO score on credit karma went up 17 points due to the new credit lines

So provided I mean minimum spend I'm looking at:
    100k AA miles
    100k BA avios
    40k us air miles
    200k Hilton points
    2 night + 2 suite upgrades at Hyatt

Here goes nothing!

Thanks for all your support, still new to this :)

desamo and traveler like this.
  13. bringer
    Original Member

bringer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I will say I've been doing these for awhile but hadn't heard of anyone trying or getting 2 Virgin cards at the same time..very cool! I may try 2 at a time next churn.

Congrats!

14. m124

m124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was also not aware that you could get two Chase personal cards in one day. Maybe I should just sit tight and not push it.

15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of them you will just have to trade for, as OP has. That's fairly typical.