App-o-rama help

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by aba20, Nov 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. aba20

aba20 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am planning a churn about 90 days since my last card and wanted to know which cards you would apply for. Here is what I have or had. I can no longer bank with Bank of America so those cards are off the list. I also included a text document as I couldn't format it well.

Card Bank Name Network join date Cancel date
    Wells fargo platnum Wells Fargo Visa 3/1/2011 active
    United MileagePlus Explorer Chase Visa 4/1/2012 7/20/2012
    British Airways Visa Chase Visa 5/12/2012 active
    American Express Business AMEX AMEX 6/20/2012 active
    US Airways Dividend miles Barclay MasterCard 7/5/2012 active
    AAdvantage Citi Visa 7/15/2012 active
    AAdvantage Citi AMEX 7/15/2012 active
    Ink Bold Chase MasterCard 7/25/2012 active
    Sapphire Preferred Chase Visa 7/25/2012 active
    Virgin Atlantic Bank of America AMEX 7/26/2012 10/25/2012
    Starwood Personal AMEX AMEX 8/11/2012 active
    Starwood Business AMEX AMEX Denied on 8/21 Denied on 8/21
    Alaska Airlines Bank of America Visa 8/20/2012 10/25/2012
    Flex Perks US Bank Visa Denied on 8/15 Denied on 8/15
    Starwood Personal CAD AMEX AMEX 11/10/2012 active

I spend lots of time in Canada so cards with no forgien transaction fees are great for me. I was thinking of something like this:

Hilton Citi AAdvantage business
    AMEX gold personal, AMEX hilton (Where you get 60k bonus points and gold status) or AMEX Hilton (no annual fee, expires the 30th of November)
    Ink Bold Plus Business Chase
    2nd US Airways Dividend miles

Is there anything I may be overlooking? Should I not apply for an AMEX card as the gold is currently only 25k and instead go for one of the hilton ones? I value first class international travel the most, but am happy with free hotels or cash value system as well for free flights.

Attached Files:

Kalboz likes this.
  2. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's the "Starwood Personal CAD AMEX AMEX 11/10/2012 active" I'm not familiar with the "CAD".
    Out of your selections I'd do the IB Plus and the AMEX Gold, maybe the Citi Amex too?
    If you do the USAIR card please give a datapoint on how that goes. I've read mixed things in the past 12 months on 2nd attempts, mixed however - not all neg.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. aba20

aba20 Active Member

Status Points:
    CAD SPG Amex is the Canadian version of SPG card. I haven't found anything on that card effecting more US amex cards.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and myself both applied for our 2nd US Airways cards on Saturday and were both instantly approved. Our first cards were opened in April of this year. On top of that my dad and mom also both applied for their 2nd US Airways cards and were also approved.... so we were 4 for 4 this past weekend. Good luck!

Kalboz, Mikus33, aba20 and 1 other person like this.
  5. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome news! I'm going to try myself then. I'm working on a churn at this moment!

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Sil747

Sil747 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My lst churn was the U.S. Airways Premier MC. I applied in August 2011, canceled August 2012 to avoid annual fee. Applied and received instant approval last week.

Was excited and decided to churn the Citi Hilton Honors Visa last week . I still have 2 Citi HH from June 2012 and now have 4.

7. MrAlexMoore

MrAlexMoore Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I'm looking at it right you have 3 Chase, 3 Amex, 2 Citi, 1 Barc, 0 US, and BoA is dead, yes?

So with about 5 months since your last Chase ap, the 2 Sw cards are a good option, unless you aren't into the companion pass. Otherwise maybe look at the Hyatt or the Ink+ depending on your spending limitations.

If you want to do Amex do a 2/3BM and get multiple to get the best bang for your credit pull, as there aren't any amazing signup offers that I'm aware of. Also can always get the MB Plat if you don't mind the fee

Can always double up Citi cards, and try applying for 2 Hilton reserve at the same time. Otherwise do the AA bus to pile onto your AA account.

I'd wait a bit on the Barc USAir as it seems that within 6 months there is some risk of denial. Maybe go for the Frontier card if you care about those miles...

Tough to hear about BoA, mind if I ask what happened? If its personal and not miles/CC related, sorry I asked...

Last thing I'd say is watch out how quickly you cancel cards after you get the bonus. You might as well keep it open until you have to pay a fee or can transfer a credit line. Your multiple 3 month cancellations are probably not making the banks too happy. Good luck out there.

8. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is very similar to what we did... We'll be traveling cross country a lot with our new little one on the way so the companion pass was a huge priority. Got approved for both the personal and the business (much easier than I thought it was going to be...), got my wife her 2nd Citi Amex & Citi Visa for 100K miles and then we both churned our US Airways (6 months out). All and all it was a mediocre churn... nothing crazy. I think I'm going to start testing the waters of the AMEX MR as I have none of those cards... that is of course unless something else amazing comes along.

9. aba20

aba20 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I really appreciate it.

I went 3/5. Instant approval on hilton citi and hilton AMEX. Approved on chase ink plus and denied on citi business AA card and barclays card. No reason was given for the citi AA card, but the barclays was that I had to many recent credit inquiries with to short a credit history. Fair enough.

10. aba20

aba20 Active Member

Status Points:
    MrAlexMoore,

BoA was related to the line of work I am in not frequent flyer related. I wish I saw your post and went for two citi hilton cards and had waited on the Barclays card.

11. aba20

aba20 Active Member

Status Points:
    Just called citi again to ask about my AA business card and was able to get approved!!! 4/5 is pretty good! I thought it was a real long shot but it worked out. I am thinking about calling barclays about the US airways card but I don't know if I want to push my luck with them closing your first card when you call the reconsideration line.

Dad to GO likes this.
  12. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you not call and say that the reason you need a 2nd card is because of work and that you would like to keep your business and personal travel purchases separate? I have heard in the past that people have successfully done that.

Mikus33 and merice107 like this.
  13. aba20

aba20 Active Member

Status Points:
    How would I contact them if I didn't call?

14. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    oops.. I just meant "can't you just call"... sorry! :p

15. AJTrenkle

AJTrenkle Active Member

Status Points:
    Nice work, which card has been your favorite of the bunch?

16. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let us know if you decide to call back about the US Airways card. It's always good to have more data points. Dad To GO's suggestion of separating work and personal expenses seems like a great way to play it.

Dad to GO likes this.
  17. MrAlexMoore

MrAlexMoore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why do you care if they close it? You probably have other cards you use for day to day, and then you could try applying again in a few months if you dont get the 2nd approval now. Am I missing something?

Like Mikus33 said, it seems that there is a lack of US Air data points out there, so every new one helps. Let us know how it goes

Mikus33 and Kalboz like this.