App-O-Rama - Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Jsm1985, Aug 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jsm1985

Jsm1985 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone -

I'm getting ready for my first app-o-rama. I already have the Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card and the Amex Delta Skymiles Gold card - both of which are 90+ days old. These are the 3 cards I definitely want to get this time around.

1. Chase Sapphire Preferred
    2. Amex SPG
    3. Barclays US Airways MasterCard
    I am looking to add 2-3 additional cards for this churn w/ one of those being a business card (I'm thinking of starting an ebay business....)

The spending limits are somewhat of a concern so I can't get something like the Chase Ink Bold and I would prefer to stay away from the Amex SPG business for now.

I was thinking of the 2-browser Citi AA trick but I already have an Amex, so I don't think that's an option. Also, I noticed the US Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards (around 33K points) but I wasn't sure if this is a good deal.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. Liberatr

Liberatr Active Member

Status Points:
    Even though the Citi AA card is an AMEX, its issued by Citi so it wouldn't matter if you had an existing AMEX card. I think the 2 browser trick is very valuable, I would recommend that

Mikus33 and edekba like this.
  3. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want to potentially keep your inquiries low, stick with the same banks for the business cards. ie) Chase Ink Bold or Amex SPG Biz. One of those plus the Citi AA or Citi Hilton 2-browser trick will make this a decent app-o-rama.

Though the US Bank sign-up bonus seems till end of this month only, so you could swap the Barclays US Air out in favor of Flexperks if you wish.

Another bank to consider is Bank of America. They have the 40,000 Alaska Airline miles sign-up offer currently, and you can do 2-browser and get the BOA Virgin Atlantic or Hawaiian Airlines card at the same time to minimize pulls.

4. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you were approved for the personal AMEX card 18 months or earlier, you may be able to still do the 2-browser trick and get both the AMEX and Visa at the same time.

Or you could try to get 2 Citi Hilton 50K cards or 2 Citi Thank You 50K cards at the same time.

The Citi AA cards have a 50K business version, so that could be an option for a business card with low minimum spending ($3K within 4 months) if you end up not applying for the 2 Citi AA personal cards.

5. Lantean

Lantean Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you get 2 of these cards? I can only see a Citi Hilton Visa offer... or is there a Citi Hilton AmEx offer too? :confused:

dariuszczyszczon likes this.
  6. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apply for the SAME 50k Visa offer twice. :)

7. Lantean

Lantean Silver Member

Status Points:
    ha! nice!
    i had no idea that would work too. ;)

booyaa likes this.
  8. Jsm1985

Jsm1985 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice!

I went ahead with my run today and here are the results:

1. Chase Saphirre Preferred - app received and awaiting decision
    2. Amex SPG - approved
    3. Barclays US Airways - approved
    4. Citi AA Visa - app received and awaiting decision
    5. Citi AA Amex - approved
    Looks like I went 3/5 on immediate approvals. Should I go ahead and call the reconsideration lines or wait for them to make a decision?

9. tunes

tunes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call now, you can go ahead and answer their questions and get an approval rather than waiting to be denied potentially and fighting an uphill battle to be approved.

10. Jsm1985

Jsm1985 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called the reconsideration line for Chase and I was already approved for the Sapphire Preferred, so I didn't have to do anything.

Since I used the 2 browser trick, should I wait to get a response from Cities for my AA visa (my AA amex was already approved) Or should k go ahead and call Citi's reconsideration?

Thanks!

perryplatypus likes this.
  11. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call now, and try to get them to push through the Visa application.

Mikus33 and perryplatypus like this.
  12. Jsm1985

Jsm1985 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the advice!

So for a final tally, I was approved for 4/5 cards instantly (although I had to call for a couple to find out I was already approved).

I was a little surprised to find out the one card I was denied was the Citi AA Visa. The last 2 cards I applied for were the Citi AA Visa / Amex, using the 2 browser trick. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it but I used 2 separate computers and submitted the applications at the same time. All 5 of my apps were completed within 5 minutes of each other. I called Citi today to get the status of my Citi AA Visa and the customer service rep told me I was denied because I applied for 2 Citi personal cards at once. It was past 9, so I couldn't speak to a supervisor, but I will call reconsideration tomorrow. Has anyone else been turned down using the 2-browser trick? This is disappointing b/c if they do another credit check they are bound to now see my other apps. Any advice or does this sound like a lost cause for this round?

13. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious to see how this works out for you. I was planning on applying for the two AA cards tomorrow morning.

14. tunes

tunes Silver Member

Status Points:
    i know a few people that have used the double browser trick and been approved for both within the past few days....interested to see how your story turns out.

15. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to piggy back off of this but in order to do the Citi Hilton 2 browser you open up the same card application on two different browsers (or two different computers) just like the AA trick, but this time they are both Visas (issued by Citi)? Not a Visa and Mastercard or Visa and Amex like the AA 2 browser trick? I did the AA 2 browser trick but I wanted to confirm that these were literally the exact same card (both Visas) unlike the AA 2 browser.

How does that even work??? Citi doesn't notice?

I see on MMS there is a link for a 50,000 where no terms or conditions are shown, and then a 40,000 offer where you can see the terms and conditions. Anyone here have luck with the 50,000?

50,000: https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq...=P&screenid=3004&wt.mc_id=CMEM_BN3dPJB8bEAPl2

40,000: http://creditcards.citicards.com/us...0&ProspectID=A6F5C2794E0A42C1891A47D51E305416

I did the AA 2 browser back in July. I should be good to go by March when I go for this? I have not had any Citi applications in that time frame.