App for locating restaurants with dining program to earn miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zeos, Mar 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zeos

zeos Member

Status Points:
    Hi All
    I'm a software developer, I was tired of missing miles so I made myself an app to search for the restaurants around me that gives miles.
    It is now working with American, Delta and United airlines. I'm working on adding southwest and US.

Anyway, it's free, it's on Android Market https://market.android.com/details?i...world.aadining

All feedback is welcome (and if you like it and want to click on some ad from time to time, It will help a lot [​IMG] )

Well, hope it helps you.

booyaa, BeachMiles, sobore and 3 others like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll look at yours. But I usually use Hhonors dining. Rewards Network (the home of iDine) does have an android app that sometimes works. And it supposedly interfaces with the GPS and Layar. But I can't get those functioning.

3. zeos

zeos Member

Status Points:
    I didn't like iDine that's why I made this one, with Idine you have to do a lot of clicks. I wanted to have a simpler one, open it, see the list, see if it gives miles the next 3 days, average price and a map.
    Although I might add a link to yelp so we can see reviews.

viguera likes this.
  4. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up.

5. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice! I'll try it out. :)

6. zeos

zeos Member

Status Points:
    thanks!
    Fixed the gps location.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The iDine app is garbage... slow and difficult to use and kept crashing on my android device. I'll give yours a shot and see.

8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember trying iDine app and not getting anywhere beyond the attempt at search.

I always wondered why Foursquare or Yelp would not add something like that. I'll be trying it out once I am back on the mainland :)

9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the iDine app and it is not really user friendly. When you'll get an iPhone app up and running I'll give it a try.

wrxmom likes this.
  10. zeos

zeos Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!. I made a couple of improvements in the last week.

About the iphone app... the truth is that I made it in Android because it's what I use and I don't think I'll get money from this app. And in order to share an app on Apple Store I have to pay something like $100 :S

viguera and Tenmoc like this.
  11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So is it restricted to iDine promos? It would be great if you could do things like add in Restaurant.com and potentially some of the current local deal sites. I know that's a lot to ask of a free app, but that way, at least you'd have a shot at some referral fees for those programs. AFAIK, iDine offers no referral fees.

viguera and Tenmoc like this.
  12. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    let us know how it is going. If committed to keeping it going, MilePoint may be interested in posting up the $100 for you to share on Apple Store if it will help members. But I'm not clear in where you might be in the app actually being ported from Android to iPhone/iPad use. MilePoint loves to help its members.

booyaa, servo46250, Mapsmith and 3 others like this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used it a couple of times but I'll admit that I've been slacking, mostly because I don't see any real advantage to checking the website every now and then.

Plus on occasion I get the same problems that I see with the RN app -- connectivity issues and it's really slow grabbing a GPS fix.

What I would like to see...

* Search / sort / filter improvements. Maybe the ability to filter or sort based on cuisine type or even earning potential.

* Ability to search by specific location/zip -- for those times when you know you're going out later, and you want to look at the opportunities in the area, but you're not nearby yet.

* Hook into Opentable or some other reservation system, if available.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything else right now. :)

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. zeos

zeos Member

Status Points:
    I will try to add the search by location/zip soon.

About search/sort/ filter improvements... I use RN "API" basically is their service and they decide how we can search. I wanted to make it simpler.

Hook to open table... yes that would be great, I'm also seeing if I can add yelp reviews. Doing that fast is not easy and it will deppend on your internet connectivity.

Thanks for the comments!

Tenmoc likes this.
  15. zeos

zeos Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'll let you know!

servo46250 and Tenmoc like this.
  16. zeos

zeos Member

Status Points:
    As many users requested it, now you can do manual searches by addres and/or zip code [​IMG]

viguera likes this.
  17. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a very good app. Thanks for your work on this. I made a comment on TPG's site after a post this morning about the Chase Freedom card and his determining which card to use when, because of promos of various cards, or shopping outlets that offer extra miles for purchasing in-store. If I was an app developer (I wish I was, I work in software consulting - but not dev) the app I would write would grab all of the current offers on all the miles/points credit cards out there, and show you based on your GPS location what stores are nearby, and if their website or the store itself offers bonus miles. Also, if you pulled up to a gas station and wanted to know which card to use, you could upload your card portfolio, and it would tell you - use your Chase Freedom here for the best deal - 5% cash back on gas for the next 90 days - and shows you like evreward - the comparison to other card offers in your portfolio as well, if you are more miles hungry than cash back hungry at that time.

I also have done some app QA work (gui/beta testing), so if you need someone to help with things, feel free to drop me a PM.

18. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually you can do this yourself with Foursquare.. you can create a list of places and then share that list freely with others. Of course, you'd have to keep up with it as places go on and off the list, but that doesn't happen too often. I lucked out in that someone near me was kind enough to create a list of RN restaurants, and I just subscribe to it.

I also use the RN Android app. It works, but it's ugly as sin. Since I usually already have 4sq open, I use that more often.

19. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't know about that, will check if anyone has done it, but with 100s of restaurants, it is a bit of a chore to create one myself.

20. love2mp

love2mp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, OP, I'll download and check your app out.

21. kadence

kadence Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only have an iPhone so when it's converted pls share.

22. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just eat and hope for the best. :D