Apology for overbooked flight

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Dovster, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    This morning, I received an e-mail from Delta apologizing for my LAS-ATL flight two days ago being overbooked.

They, in fact, asked me to fill out a questionnaire about how it impacted me.

Uh, well, it didn't. In fact, I had no idea that it was overbooked. I was not informed of it at check in and if the GA made an announcement, or called for volunteers, I didn't hear it. I did hear her announce that the flight was full and that the upgrade list was closed.

(Neither impacted me in the least as I was on a paid FC ticket.)

In fact, the only thing that impacted me in the least was the fact that the woman sitting across the aisle from me had so much in her roller bag that:

a. She could not pick it up to put it in the overhead compartment.
    b. It was too heavy for the FA to be able to pick it up.
    c. When I picked it up we discovered that it was too fully packed to be able to fit in. Hence, I had to give it back to her, wait for her to take some things out, and then pick it up again.

jason8612, lisamcgu, misman and 5 others like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    These people seem to be good at packing, maybe they can help her next time:
    [​IMG]

penguin085, lisamcgu, Dorlee and 7 others like this.
  3. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can't lift your luggage up over your head, it's not a carry-on

Gargoyle, alphaeagle and AmericanGirl like this.
  4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    At leas you got an apology!

Skyvillager likes this.
  5. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never got one of those. Why would they apologize except perhaps to someone involuntarily bumped? Did the flight get delayed because of the overbooking? Sometimes it does particularly if they have to retrieve luggage.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, there was no delay at all. I can't explain why I got an apology as I had no idea we had been overbooked.

jason8612, lisamcgu and Skyvillager like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the spirit of proactive customer service, DL now apologizes in advance, knowing that they will soon do something that does deserve an apology. I wonder what religions allow penance in advance of sins to be committed in the future.

lisamcgu, Dorlee, ryandc99 and 2 others like this.
  8. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had an apology letter after one flight, too. Ended up having no real impact to my timing, with the exception of being the last on the flight, needing to check my bag at the gate, and getting a better (coach) seat than I had - a bit of a surprise bonus.

I had volunteered to wait until the next flight as I didn't have meetings/other that required me to get to my destination early that day... so was going to take advantage of the delay "thank you" (i.e. $300 flight voucher, upgrade to FC on the next flight, and meal voucher). Unfortunately, there were a couple folks who checked in but didn't show up... Probably pushed their time a bit and got stuck in security lines.
    • I think losing out on the "thank you" for taking a delay was a much bigger impact [​IMG]

Dovster likes this.