Anything MilePoint can do to help out members affected by the Japan earthquake?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by JALPak, Mar 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there anything MilePoint can do as a community to help out the members affected by the Japan earthquake? I know at least one member, sendaiben, is seriously affected by this. It would be nice if we could set up something for the rest of the community to contribute and help those members get back to their foot.

misman, Kaanapali, KIXman and 2 others like this.
  2. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that donating / contributing to relief organizations (Red Cross etc.) is the best option for now. :(

Once the regular (postal) distribution is up and running again we could see about sending necessities via that channel to affected people/communities, but that would require contacts able to communicate and coordinate on the ground...

IDGflygirl, Kaanapali, KIXman and 2 others like this.
  3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking more about helping out other MP members specifically. But I guess donating to red cross will do too

Kaanapali, KIXman and secretsea18 like this.
  4. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Figured as much, that would require basic infrastructure working again so we are able to get necessities (food, money etc.) out to them. Unfortunately all of our miles and points can't really help for those right now (since the airlines and hotels are operating on other priorities now).

I too would like to do something, but am struggling trying to think of a meaningful way to shape it. I asked Randy if the MP organization would be able to help (if only a banner to a donation page), but I'm guessing they're having the same problem.

Just goes to show how we can bicker about points, miles, credit cards and whatnot, and how insignificant that can be from one moment to the next.

6. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. First thing first is to send the aid (in whatever form you can give) to those organizations who are already there or can establish a presence there quickly - distributing food and getting money to set up shelters is priority number one for those displaced.
    Thank you for posting this! I think the following url (secure page) will work for those who wish to get right to the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami page:
    https://american.redcross.org/site/Donation2?idb=0&5052.donation=form1&df_id=5052

7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I posted a couple of links to organizations that were on the frontline helping out. One is Red Cross and the other is MSF I have sent in a donation to Red Cross and MSF(Doctors without borders) already, but would be happy to contribute more if MP organizes something. There may be grass roots organizations which may be able to address acute needs if someone can suggest some.

Previous post can be found here.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/anyone-affected-by-the-earthquake-in-japan.5890/
    "For those who wish to donate to the relief effort, Red Cross and MSF are two organizations with volunteers in the Miyagi prefecture trying to coordinate and provide aid (please note that the links are to the Cdn agencies which will direct funds for relief). I am sure there are many other worthy organizations helping out in the area, but these two are ones I normally donate to and have often been amongst the first responders to disasters around the world."

US organization for MSF

LizzyDragon84, Gargoyle and JALPak like this.
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Want to bring this thread up, as I hope people can consider contributing to a ground level organization helping with tsunami victims.

To recognize anyone who is considering a donation, I have 5 UA (in-flight) drink chits (exp 06/30/11 to be given to for one pledge) and 1 10% off UA e-cert (single person RT itinerary usable for any UA/UAX/CO operated flight booked on UA.com, exp 09/12/11) to offer. Simply open a conversation requesting the item and that you will donate (or even better, how much). At the end of tomorrow (10pm EST), I will select the one from those who pledge. The donation can be to any organization providing assistance in Japan.

If this is successful, I will try to liquidate other items to help out.

cheers

canucklehead

Some of the T&C for 10% off e-cert

4. Valid Carrier: United, or United Express(R) operated flights; It is not valid on flights operated by other airlines, such as United-Marketed
    code share and Star Alliance Flights.
    5. Ticketing Dates: valid for 1 year from the date of this letter
    6. Travel Dates: valid for 1 year from the date of this letter
    7. Blackout Dates: None
    8. Advance Purchase: Per rule of fare purchased
    9. Min/Max Stay Requirements: Per rule of fare purchased
    10. Valid Routing: To take advantage of this discount you must travel from any city served by United or United Express to any city served by
    United or United Express worldwide during the above travel period. You must travel only United-marketed and operated flights for your entire
    itinerary, and you must follow a permitted routing. Circle trips and trips with multi-city itineraries, do not qualify for this offer.
    11. Stopovers: Not permitted
    12. Qualifying Fares: This discount may be used on following published fares: United First(R) (F,A) class, United Business(R) (J,C,D,Z) class
    and United Economy(R) (Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K) class fares.
    13. Restricted Fares: This discount may not be used on the following fares: companion, travel industry, G class, contract, bulk, convention,
    tour conductor, children, family plan, government, group, military, senior citizen, student, youth, infant, tour basing, Round the World,
    Circle the Pacific, Visit USA, or any non-published fares. The discount certificate is not valid and does not apply if the discount amount
    equals or exceeds the base fare amount, therefore, the discount certificate will never be greater than the base fare and a residual
    value will not apply.
    14. Additional Taxes and Fees: All taxes, fees and carrier imposed surcharges are additional
    15. Fare Rules: All rules of the fare purchased apply. Reservations and ticket purchases on united.com must be completed simultaneously. The published fare you qualify for depends on what class of service is available on the days you travel. Some markets may have lower fares
    available without the discount.
    16. Combinability: Not combinable with other discount offers
    17. Maximum number of users per certificate: One
    18. Maximum number of passengers per itinerary: One
    19. Ticketing: You may redeem this electronic certificate on united.com or a worldwide united.com site. Discount only applies when ticket is
    purchased on united.com using the certificate number and a credit card that has a valid local billing address. Electronic certificates cannot
    be redeemed by calling United Airlines or your travel professional.

jupper and Gargoyle like this.
  9. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got a couple of CO (in-flight) drink coupons, with or without expiry (depends on when my Plat package will finally arrive ;D), I'll gladly add them to the pool. Posting them from Europe might be another matter, but I'll think of something.