Anything I can do with a few Iberia Avios?

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by viguera, Aug 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    So... I have a few thousand Accor points that I really don't see myself using any time soon (or at all) and I'm wondering if the Iberia 2:5 conversion can yield anything interesting or if I should just transfer the points into one of my other programs.

Right now the conversion would yield 60k IB Avios (is it just plain Avios, Avios miles, miles, points or what? :) ). I'm based out of New York btw.

I know I can turn this into 12k miles with other programs, but I wonder since they have that distance-based redemption if I could do anything interesting with Iberia instead.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  2. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Appologies if you know this, but Avios (and strictly speaking it is Avios points) is a common currency that is shared by three different loyalty programmes:
    - Iberia Plus
    - British Airways Executive Club, and also
    - the scheme that used to be called AirMiles(.co.uk) in the UK, now called Avios UK
    [Rather confusingly that third scheme has been renamed from Airmiles UK to Avios (UK) - which is the same name as the shared common currency, but it is totally separate scheme, more aimed at shoppers saving for flights than people earning from flying, etc.]

The important thing is that all three of these are separate loyaly programmes - each with their own rules, and own terms and conditions, and slightly different partners for earning and burning.

- Someone could have accounts with each of the three schemes if they wanted!

[Officially, the scheme called Avios.com is aimed at the UK only and you need a UK address, also accounts in the BA Executive club can not be opened for people in Australia due to BA partnership with Qantas. So, someone in the UK could have 3 accounts (one per scheme), someone anywhere else in the world could officially have 2 accounts (in BAEC and IB+) , except for someone in Australia who sadly only could have IB+ officially.]

Subject to a couple of restrictions*, Avios points can be moved freely between the schemes, so after crediting your Accor points into Avios in IB+, you could transfer them 1 for 1 into Avios in the BA Executive Club programme - so anything you see of value there is available.

The restrictions (not exhaustitative):
    - IB+ accounts need to have been open for 90 days (IIRC) before you can use it with 'combine my Avios' to move Avios between accounts in your name in the different schemes. [The other schemes don't have this resitrction.]
    - You need to be over 18 to be able to move balances (or parts of them) using Combine My Avios, you can't more childrens balances.
    - Accounts need to be for same person.
    - Both AviosUK and BAEC have (different) provisions for types of family/household account, if you have one of these, the rules for moving get more complex - let me know if you do and I will explalin.

Personally, unless you wanted to redeem on a partner that is ONLY an IB+ partner, I would move the Avios points from IB+ over to BAEC and make your redemptions there, as there is more only assistance available, more documentation, and less stingy rules on makng changes/cancellations compared with IB+.

What value you could get from Avios:
    - People say they are very good for AA flights within the US, see the BA Executvie Club discussions.
    - If you are in Europe, they are very good for Reward Flight Savers (although to be able to book these the account you want to book them from BAEC or IB+ needs to have recieved/earnt Avios in the last 12 months. Combine my avios transfers don't count, so use the BA eStore etc, to earn 1 Avios or more directly into BAEC.

Booking for others: You can book for other people!
    [If you have a household account in BAEC, this limits it to only members of the pooled household, only have a HHA if you need one, it limits you (to give you other perks in return).]
    [Booking in IB+ I think you need to nominate the other peple who you will book for in advance, another reason to move them from IB+ to BAEC.]

Expiry: BAEC accounts that go over 36 months (3 years) without any activity (moving Avios in/out from IB+ doesn't count) will have their balance removed, but any earn or burn will reset that count down each time, so small redemptions or deposits regularly mean there is NOT expiry. [The Avios themsevlves do not expire, it would be the account being zeroed for lack of activity.]

Note: You migth want to give you BAEC account (if you don't already have one) some simply activity first before using Combine My Avios to move them from IB+. there are still some bugs in CMA, but we can usually help you fix them in the BAEC section. And you are entitled to do it (once you have been open 3 months), not rush to do this bit - CMA is a pemanent benefit, move back and forth.

----

FINALLY: Make sure you transfer from Accor into Ibera Plus (do NOT go direct to BAEC, or into 'Avios'), as you can see this is a very good rate. A lot of people think it is an anomaly and might not be around for long. Please don't sing about it too much! ;)

Personally, I would say this is much better value than the other airline transfer and also than the Accor vouchers. I am not a US flyer, but from what I have read from others, the Avios usage in the US domestically on AA would be good value for you.

Read ths stuff about using Avios from BAEC on AA, should be lots online about that.

[N.b. if crediting flights to BAEC or IB+ do note that while you can move Avios points (the spending currency), you can NOT move status credits (tier points), each scheme is separate, you have a separare status level in each scheme so pick where you are going to credit, if you do credit any (heck AviosUK doesn't even have the concept of status, but you can credit flights from some airlines directly into it, but you just get the Avios).]

Hope that makes sense, sorry for the lenght.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply.

The length is actually welcome because there's a lot of detail there and even if I knew some of it, I'm sure it will come in handy for someone in the future.

And as far as my situation goes I'm guessing the best approach is Accor to IB+, then use CMA and use the miles with AA domestic.

Sounds crazy and convoluted but those are the games we play. :)

4. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. That's what I'd suggest in your position.

Even if you have to wait the 90 days, etc, to move them finally to BAEC, bank the Accor to IB+ bit now.

You could spend them on AA from IB+, but the T&C on redemptions are better in BAEC and there is more support online. And you can always move them back to IB if need be. Just DON'T go direct from Accor to BAEC, go via IB+ and keep a screenshot, incase they happen to 'update' this 'legacy' bit overnight (the confirmation emails do also say what you should get), I've done some this week, and have more going through system now. So, shhh.... keep it quiet. ;)

60k Avios is a decent figure, I'd say best value you could expect to get from the Accor points by far. [Unless it made sense to topup another scheme that was very close to award level that you needed urgently, etc.]

viguera likes this.
  5. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also appologies for the typos, half asleap here...

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply, overall it was very informative and filled quite a few gaps. I don't really need to top off any particular account so I was looking for a good way to burn the Accor points, and so far this seems to be the better one.

I'm keeping an eye on the BAEC thread as well for Avios redemptions, since it seems I would be able to use them on AS / JL as well, and you never know when some crazy redemption opportunity is going to show up.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/great-uses-for-avios-short-but-expensive-flights.44083/

The one thing that I noticed right off the bat is that these could turn into 6 JFK-YUL trips (which is priced at $350 on a good day but is only 9k Avios) so that in itself is a pretty good way to spend the points.

7. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    Could you please share the link to the conversion page on the Accor page, I cannot find it.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if they have the page outside of the members section... I just tried it and they must share IT departments with United because their system is unavailable now. :)

Either way, after you log into your account you go to the section to "manage" your points and there's an option there to either order vouchers, set up the automatic miles/points earning preference or transfer the points to miles. You then get redirected to another page where you choose your airline and it tells you the amount of miles you'd receive based on how many Accor points you convert and the target program.

9. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    Ah, so it's not just my PC... :)

Thanks! And the transfer from IB+ to BAEC is a straightforward one?

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea as I haven't done it... the only catch seems to be both accounts need to be at least 3 months old and you need to use avios.com to move the stuff around rather than BA or IB.

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an additional datapoint, I requested the transfer from my Accor account 8/31 and the points showed up on my Iberia Plus account this morning (9/6).

12. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    The requirment is that the IB+ account needs to be three months old. The BAEC account does not need to be, don't worry about that.

Also, both accounts must be active, not dormant, etc.

Other than that, both accounts must belong to the same person, so same name and same DOB is a must, same email address helps avoid issues. But you don't need the same physical address on both accounts.

13. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 2000 Iberia Avios that I would like to combine into my BAEC account. I did a brief search and could not find how to transfer Iberia Avios to BA Avios. I only see an option on either airline's website to transfer BA Avios to Iberia and not the other way around. Am I missing something?

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    https://www.britishairways.com/travel/combine-avios/execclub/_gf/en_gb

What's Changed?
    Your BA Miles, Airmiles and Iberia Plus points have become Avios points and to help you get the most out of this partnership, you can put all your Avios together in one place. You just have to choose which account to put them into.

Move Avios between your accounts
    If you have an Executive Club, Avios or Iberia Plus account, you can combine Avios from these accounts, at the same value, and put them towards the offer you want to spend your Avios on.

How it works
    1. Select which account you would like to transfer Avios or destinations miles from or to.
    2. Enter the amount of Avios/destinations miles you would like to transfer.
    3. Confirm your selection and the transfer will happen immediately.
    There is no limit to how many or how often you can transfer Avios and the transaction is instant.

brucewil likes this.
  15. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, but in digging a little further, it seems the problem for me is that I have a household account that may be preventing me from transferring my Iberia Avios into the household BAEC account. If anyone has more info on this, it would be appreciated.

16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. You'll have to dissolve the household account to transfer Avios.