Anyone Visited the Azores?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Muerl, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

I spend some time looking at Buzz on kayak, and the flights were reasonable for somewhere "over the ocean" and the timing was right for my Fiancée's birthday in June, but I am wondering about the weather.

Googling says beaches and volcanoes but it didn't seem that warm so I have doubts. Any opinions?

I remember Anthony Bordain loving the food though; so that does count in its favor.

Airfare from BOS->PDL is $650ish for direct on SATA International (no alliance, but it is a TAP Code Share)

Thoughts? It does look gorgeous.
  2. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

I haven't been, but the Azores are very high on my list. I have two very different sets of friends (one a German couple, another a couple from the US) who have been to the Azores and loved it. Be aware that June 10 is a holiday - you would have to double-check to see if there are closures that would affect your plans.

The islands are in the Atlantic, so there's no time of year that is absolutely guaranteed 100% no showers. Having said that, June is a generally a great time to visit weather-wise. There's a lot more to do than just hang out on the beach, so an overcast day doesn't mean no activities.

What a super birthday present!