Anyone used Uber or Lyft in San Diego

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by LAM, Nov 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may have a quick three night stay in San Diego and I will not have a car. I was thinking about using Uber or Lyft to travel to different places away from the core downtown area. Does anyone have any experience using either service in San Diego? The Yelp reviews are not great for either service.

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used Uber several times there (I used to live in SAN), but not Lyft.

There is one universal complaint about Uber, and it's not unique to SAN... it's their "surge" pricing. In case you're not familiar with surge pricing, they jack up their rates significantly during peak times. There is no set time for the surge pricing, it's based on demand at the moment. Think weekend dinner time or when bars are closing. Uber has done a little better in being up-front in the app when surge pricing applies. I think Lyft does surge pricing too, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

All of my Uber drivers in SAN have been nice. One was clueless, didn't know how to get of the airport area to Interstate 5 (but that driver seemed weapons-grade clueless in general), but that's the biggest driver complaint I've had.

My ongoing issue with Uber is the estimation of the arrival of the ride. You can order the Uber ride, it will say it'll be there in five minutes, when it reality it takes 10 or 15 minutes. That has happened to me everywhere I have used Uber -- in North America and Europe.

Edited to add: if you know specific times that you need a ride, I can refer you to an extremely reliable Town Car service with lots of Yelp love which has rates on-par with Uber (at least they were to/from SAN to my house). PM me if you want the name.

3. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used both. Not in San Diego, but other places. Keep in mind that uber drivers are often Lyft drivers as well so expect the same kind of service or vehicles.

And yes, there is also surge pricing on Lyft.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used Uber a few times in San Diego. The first driver picked us up from the parking lot at SAN since they're not allowed to pick up anyone at the arrivals area. The second driver picked us up from downtown San Diego and drove us to Coronado Island without any issues. The third driver didn't know how to get from downtown San Diego to Old Town, which I thought was ridiculous.

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's weird about the airport, as I've been picked up a couple of times on the airport grounds at the Commuter Terminal.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used both extensively, although only a few times in San Diego.

I've never had the issues with bad drivers myself, but maybe I've just been lucky. The only issue I've had with Lyft is that it's kind of weird when the driver asks you to sit in the front, but most will not mind if you choose to sit in the back.

Uber has gotten much better now with their app updates, as you can actually choose your destination in the app and this will be transmitted to the driver. That eliminates any issues with him entering the destination, or wasting time trying, or worse trying to do it while driving. I've found their estimates -- both for fares as well as wait times -- to be spot on, to the point where you can follow the car on your phone, know which way they're coming from and how far they are.

I do hate their surge pricing, and the fact that Uber's "black" cars have a $15 minimum - even if the ride would have otherwise been less -- but that's the price you pay for convenience, I suppose.

7. Jonathan Lee

Jonathan Lee Member

Status Points:
    Really wished Lyft would expand soon, have heard really good things about them.

Uber's pretty decent for me - a couple of times so far and they were mostly prompt and painless. Oveur's right on surge pricing being a little bit less transparent though.

8. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for their opinions. I will download the apps and possibly make use of either of these services.

I won't be flying in on this leg of my trip. I have a business trip in LA and my plan is to take Amtrak to San Diego and back to LA. Unfortunately I cannot fly home from SAN as the contracted rates from SAN to WAS are higher than LAX to WAS. Can't fly home from SAN unless the price was equal or less. My management does not like non-refundable fares even though we are allowed by policy to book them now. They would rather us pay more than explain to the finance folks why we wasted X number of dollars with a non-refundable fare if a trip is cancelled.