Anyone used Amazon payments to fulfill purchase requirements for bonus sign-ups?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by vupadhayay, Jun 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I recently got approved for Citi AAdvantage Visa Signature and World Mastercard. Was wondering if I could use amazon payments for the bonus 75K and 50K miles.

Thanks.

2. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amazon payments lets you send $1000 without a fee. If you and your partner each send each other $1000 per month you can complete your spend pretty soon!

Be aware that you should select the "Goods Service" option when transferring the money, and not the "Cash Advance" since you may be charged a cash advance fee from your bank for sending cash.

Also be aware that you should use the card for other purchases as well, in addition to the Amazon payments charges, since Chase has been known to shut down account that buy too many coins or gift cards etc.

hulagrrl210 and riverchica like this.
  3. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great way to do the front end spend requirements for CC promotions. At some point Amazon will most likely have a fee for this, but for now enjoy!

Million Mile Secrets likes this.
  4. Thank you.

5. I had a problem though. They asked for my friend's driver's license. We are international students here. So none of us has a driver's license. Any other way?

6. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    you need that information to link your bank account instantly, you can also try to do it the "long way" by depositing small amounts, checking them, entering information and having it up and running within 2-3 biz days.

Best,

PedroNY

7. Thanks Pedro. That's what I did. Will have to wait and see what happens now. Otherwise I might have to resort to the US mint thing and regular expenses.

8. Sorry to sound ignorant, just stumbled on this. So I'm able to "pay" for something using a credit card and not have a fee? correct me if I'm wrong, but these are the steps:
    • Open up the amazon account
    • Get the CC I want in there
    • transfer via goods and servcices some $$$ to another person via a charge on my credit card, to their bank account
    • This charge on my card is, to the credit card company, NOT a cash advance, just a normal charge
    • Get credit for the points
    • Other person hands me a check (they do not have to purchase anything, nor do they get gift certs, etc.
    • Pay off the balance on the credit card charge
    I saw the other notes in terms of DL and not insulting them with amounts, that seems to be no problem...but just want to confirm that no fees would apply and that the funds can go to a bank account vs. gift certs
    Thanks, appreciated

9. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct, no fee. The other person will be the one who sets up a linked bank account so that they can withdraw the monies you sent via CC. Max. is $500/payment and monthly total is $1000.

10. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps they changed the rules for new users, but I've been able to send more than $500 at a time.

MLW20 likes this.
  11. hashj01

hashj01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I just signed up for the Citi AAdvantage account and may need to use this as a way to get in part of my $2500 spend for the 50,000 miles; does anyone know if this method still works?

12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here I've been using it for a while now. I send $1000 from my account to my wife and use the same credit card to send $1000 from my wife to me.

I need to do my payments for December still, only a few days left!

13. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likewise, been doing a spend from my wife's and my account every month! Better than the coins...

14. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is time for me to change credit cards again, on this account. This will be the third card I've added. Does that raise any red flags?

deant likes this.
  15. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does amazon payments ask for address? If so, are both of you using the same address?

deant likes this.
  16. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really don't remember. If they did, we would be using the same address though.

misterbwong and deant like this.
  17. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have not had any problem with multiple credit cards on one account.

18. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought the person receiving the funds receives the amount minus a transaction fee like paypal.

deant likes this.
  19. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There are no transaction fees. Limit is $1,000 per month sent and $1,000 per month received. However, be very careful of sending to one person and having them send it back to the original account. Accounts have been known to be canceled for doing that.

Singapore Flyer and MLW20 like this.
  20. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks deant! I think I missed the part about personal accounts and staying under the threshold of either 500 or 1000.

21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had my accounts for a while and I have the $500 max, per transaction. No big deal, though.

22. peege

peege Active Member

Status Points:
    When sending from account A to B, then B back to A again, what is the best way to stay off the blacklist?
    Are you guys waiting a specific amount of time between the two payments?
    I plan to stay within the monthly limit but it would be nice to get this coming and going without problems...
    Any additional advice?

23. amazon payments recently must have run into some Know Your Customer compliance issues.
    they asked for additional verification info including ssn to continue using the account.

deant likes this.
  24. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  25. right, i'm an occasional user (but not an abuser) of the service.