Anyone Use AA to Rent a Car - Tax Question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by myhotrs, Apr 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. myhotrs

myhotrs Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I've searched the tread but didn't find anyone's results. I'm renting a car in JFK and may use AA's car rental option. On the rental car sites, the taxes for my rental show around ~$80 depending on the cost (over 30% by the way!!!)

Anyone have experience with what the taxes end up as when booking through AA?

Thanks!

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure it's AA and not just JFK in general? I know when you pick anything up from the airport you can expect to pay 4-5 times as much in taxes and surcharges than if you pick up from a non-airport location.

If I pick up a car from JFK for example I have to pay 19.875% in taxes, plus an 11.11% concession recovery fee. If I pick up from Avis by my house I pay a 3% rental surcharge and 6% taxes (then again I live in CT).

3. myhotrs

myhotrs Active Member

Status Points:
    Oh definitely its JFK, not AA! I didn't mean that it was AA's fault. I was just upset by the huge taxes we pay on car rentals and hoping to get some data-point on what I can expect using AA to reserve from JFK.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the car rental in NYC -- all of NYC -- is 19.875%, so you're not gonna get away from that unless you rent out of state. :)

The only break you might catch is if you rent outside the airport, which removes the 11.11% fee. You get hit with that regardless of whether you rent at JFK/LGA or even EWR. Renting at EWR itself actually lowers your taxes by 8%, but you're still paying a ridiculous amount in fees.

Bottom line is that if you don't need to rent a car in New York, don't. And if you absolutely must, take a cab out of the airport and rent in the city, which will save you 10% and your rates might actually be lower.

5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used AA.com to rent at ATL, and the taxes were just the same as with any booking agent.

6. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, aa.com is about par for the course cost-wise when renting. Sometimes you can get a car a few dollars cheaper elsewhere, sometimes you can't.

Your profile doesn't say where you are based. If you are outside the US, you might find it a lot cheaper booking an inclusive deal through an agency. (In the UK, netflights and carhire3000 tend to be the best IMO).

7. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just as a point of comparison, I used AA miles to rent a car at ORD and paid roughly $20 in taxes/fees, which is about what I've been quoted on cash rentals as well.

2soonold likes this.
  8. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles redemptions do indeed exclude tax, so be prepared for that. OTOH, they are a relatively good deal from a value per mile perspective (compared to using UA or DL miles for same), so there is some bad with the good.

9. myhotrs

myhotrs Active Member

Status Points:
    Seems like I should expect to pay same taxes I would for a cash rental.

Thanks everyone!