Anyone try to bump from 25K to 30K on recent SPG Amex?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Aug 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I'm a noob and didn't realize the offer would be increasing so soon after my application. I have contacted Amex via email, but wondering if anyone else has attempted this bump?

2. AAL

AAL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am in the same situation - I just received my new card yesterday and then saw that the welcome bonus increased as of today. I called Amex and the customer service rep said they would not agree to give me the additional miles now, but she made a note on my account about my request, and told me to call back and make the request again after I reach the spend threshold.

artvndlay likes this.
  3. vinay2543

vinay2543 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've sent a secure message to AMEX about an hour back...will report what they respond tomorrow.

4. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    If SM doesn't work, trying calling and escalate to supervisor.

5. artvndlay

artvndlay Active Member

Status Points:
    Delta Points blog just commented on this. I'm in the same situation, will be trying to call soon and I'd love to hear your results.

6. love2mp

love2mp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the same boat, sent a SM message today and will have to see how AMEX responds.

7. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Talked to a CSR and her supervisor yesterday and got a pushback from both. I politely told them about the need to keep up with their competition (Chase), who give the extra benefits as a matter of routine, if the sign up bonus goes up in a relatively short time (is it 30 days or 90 days?). They thanked me for my feedback, but were bound by "rules" not to offer anything. So, it is a no go for the extra 5K points.

8. love2mp

love2mp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got a message back from Amex - no extra 5K points...oh well...

9. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I used secure messaging to request that my recently accepted 25K application be upgraded to the 30K one. The response:

"Dear Gary Steiger,

I understand your concern regarding the offer.

While we appreciate your interest in this offer, we are unable to apply it to your account, as it was not available at the time you applied for the card. I understand that this may be disappointing to you, however you can expect to see various promotions throughout the year for which you may be eligible.

We regret the inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,
    Raashi Semwal
    Email Servicing Team
    American Express Interactive Services"

I replied:

"I am very disappointed with American Express for this response. I assume American Express knew that a better offer was coming when I accepted the lesser offer, but still accepted my application for the letter offer. When this type of situation arises with a Chase card, they do the right thing. It's your reputation at stake.

"Please forward this comment to management.

"Thank you."

I suggest others to do the same. Perhaps we can get management's attention on this.