Anyone tried TravelPony yet?

Discussion in 'Deal Page | Air/Hotel' started by ranman1973, Sep 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone else has given TravelPony a try yet? www.travelpony.com

I personally have not yet booked anything but it seems very promising for hotel bookings. Rates and hotel names are only published after you sign up / sign in. There's also a bit of a catch b/c they ask you to share your deal on social media (but there's an opt out option).

On a comparison for an upcoming trip, I found that this site beat Expedia and other OTAs by a pretty decent margin: 10 to 25% which is very good in a competitive landscape. None of this $2 or $5 per night 'savings'.

When I compared it to Hotwire, TravelPony was a bit higher, but in some cases I don't mind paying extra to know what hotel I'm getting and to have the ability to cancel.

As the creator of HotelDealsRevealed.com, I love Priceline and will continue to use Priceline's NYOP if the price is cheap enough. But TravelPony does look pretty promising.

Anybody actually booked anything on it yet?

anileze likes this.
  2. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ride that pony!

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this count as an opaque booking channel? Can it be used for a BRG? Clearly they claim to have a room for me $25 per night less than hilton.com for example.

4. Coogfan87

Coogfan87 Active Member

Status Points:
    Probably can't be used for BRG because you have to sign up to see the rates but YMMV depending on the program

5. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately not. Their fares are not "published" and are only available to members only.

After a few hotel bookings, I'm liking the site.

anileze likes this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks promising. However, their listing are limited, and the cities outside US, more so.

7. mgn57

mgn57 Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about Hilton,
    But I have used their rates for a LNF with Marriott. I emailed and asked Marriott, before I put in a LNF claim.
    I was successful for Courtyards in Hawaii.

8. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    The site is very limited. Some cities have only 2 or 3 listings. Certain cities had none. It's not very comprehensive. We had a credit to use and could not find a place to use it.

9. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have checked it out a few times but never booked anything. It's okay if you don't need selection --> location is not that important. I'm going to Vegas and couldn't find anything in the part of the Strip I wanted to stay.

10. alaskantraveler

alaskantraveler Member

Status Points:
    I used travelpony 6 different times in Argentina while on a recent trip. I only used it because I was able to take advantage of multiple referrals for myself and a girlfriend, etc... We were budget travelers, but we were able to get 4 star rooms listed at $80 a night on many sites with a sale price of $50 on travel pony. after apply the $35 sign up credit we paid $15 to stay in some pretty decent 4 star hotels. We did stay in one place from travel pony that was listed for $75. It was a crap hole, and we would have been very disappointed if we had actually paid $75. We paid only $15 after a $25 referral and $35 sign up bonus.