Anyone rerouting around winter weather this weekend?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Jan 31, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed the AA winter weather waiver for ORD on Friday night, so called in and changed my Sunday DCA-ORD-SFO to DCA-DFW-SFO. Good thing I did as the ORD-SFO segment was cancelled today.

Think my timing was pretty good as both my DFW-SFO and the one behind it are both sold out (F0Y0). Could have still made it home on Sunday, but it would have been with flights into the evening.

Did get the upgrade for the first segment but nothing there to upgrade into on the second segment (had cleared both on the original itinerary, my 13th and 14th domestic upgrades of 2015).

2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got an early Monday morning MCI-PHL and then an afternoon PHL-CDG flight I'm worried about on US/AA. So far it looks like it will be ok. Little worried about a forecast of "light" freezing rain Sunday night. I guess I'll find out.
    My guess is if the weather is still sorta bad along the East coast that it might cause some slight delays. So far no notices from AA or US on this. I'm already booked into F so not as worried about upgrades unless I have to rebook. I think my CDG flight inbound aircraft comes from LAX so that could be interesting or delayed if the weather gets worse than expected.

Newscience likes this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully you'll be able to get out with minor delays at worst. Can see the sun through the clouds here at DCA this morning so maybe it won't be too bad this time around.

Tom in the DCA AC heading home

Newscience likes this.
  4. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    ORD is a good place to avoid today. We've got 6" of snow so far and another 8-10" coming. I've rerouted form going to the gym to just hanging on the couch.

mikeschu and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, in the Northeast, cancelled flights are fact of life for travelers during the winter months. I was scheduled to travel on WN from BDL-BWI late tomorrow, and moved the flight back a day. A big hand (once again) to Southwest Airlines for enabling this change - and making it easy to do online, with no charge! :)

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you live in Chicago, or travel through ORD, flight cancellations in rough weather occur all the time. While travelling out of IAD during the middle of winter a couple of years ago, I was amused to see a group of folks on a cancelled flight headed to ORD, complaining to their airline about their flight's cancellation! :confused:

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rerouted around San Pablo Ave. yesterday, but that was because of traffic, not because of the 72 degree weather. :p

traveltoomuch likes this.
  8. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wish we could get some rain to reroute from PDX/SEA to SFO/LAX/SAN. :(

Newscience likes this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You aren't kidding. The first next best hope is the end of this week. No measurable rain in SF for the first time in recorded history in January.

mikeschu and Newscience like this.
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are most welcome to come up to the Northeast and help yourselves to all the snow that you can take with you! :D

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got the last F seat at the gate on a brand new A321 DFW-SFO. Hadn't expected to clear this one as flight was F0 since last night. Passenger next to me was also rerouted with a Kansas City origin via DFW. He found out when he got a voice mail message yesterday that his ORD-SFO, the original flight I was on, was cancelled. I didn't want to wait for the computer to reroute me and called on Friday night.

Was freezing cold for my DCA visit (24F Friday night after landing) so glad to be heading home.

Newscience likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weather? Why would anyone be rerouted in 70 degrees and sunshine? :D

Newscience likes this.
  13. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not AA related, but...how much delay should I expect on Amtrak going north into Boston tomorrow? (I don't use the train that often and haven't paid much attention to its weather delays.)

Newscience likes this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may want to check out this link, and also contact Amtrak prior to your travel:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251627581585

I'm in CT south of the MA border, and we're expected over 14" of snow tonight and tomorrow. Boston got hammered during last week's snowstorm, and will likely get a large snowfall with this snowstorm. It would be wise to plan accordingly.

flyforawg likes this.