Anyone reliable want to do the U.S share miles with me?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Sil747, Oct 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sil747

Sil747 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking for someone reliable and honest to do the 50k U.S. airways share miles with me.
    Please be honest with the transaction. I already was taken advantage of at Flytertalk when I did the SPG referral for 5k points exchange. I applied and was approved as promised. He had my 5k referral points and I never received anything as I never heard back from him as to whether he even applied for it. He doesn't even frequent FF anymore. I am sure I am not the only "dummy".

Moderator- if in wrong thread , please free to move it

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Set up an account for a friend or family member and share miles in a couple of weeks.

Confused about the referral issue and what your expectation was, and not clear what your loss was in that case.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This!

No need to get a 3rd party involved at all.

4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    She missed out on the 5k points for referring the other person to the SPG app, since the person apparently never did it. That's the risk you take when you get involved with a stranger, even if they say they're honest.

If you don't have a friend or family member who is willing to help, then I probably wouldn't go through with it. I'm not banking on someone I don't know to do what they say they're going to do.

5. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is also no guarantee that they were approved for the card. My wife referred my SPG card and they said they had no documentation of anything. I provided screenshots, emails, and confirmation. They claim I didn't use the proper link. (100% sure I did as I told my wife that I was clicking on the link) Referral bonus denied! Oh well, I'll just have to enjoy the 60k points from the 2 cards:)

6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a good point as well.

kdw038 likes this.
  7. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing two things.
    1. He was the one approved for the SPG card. The person who sent him the referral and got the referral points (in theory as it is not a perfect system) promised him something in return for using his referral and didn't "pay".
    2. He wants someone with 50K US points to share and then he will share back. I am guessing that is the barrier to just setting up an account with 0 miles for a friend/family member.

Just guesses, but they seem to be logical.

guberif, edekba, kdw038 and 1 other person like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. But just for fun, let me point out that #2 doesn't actually require someone reliable and honest ;)

kdw038 and mommypoints like this.
  9. aviator8

aviator8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i would be interested but do not have the 50K either :(

10. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you MP for the SPG cards. The reason we got the cards was your blog about Disney Swan/Dolphin.

mommypoints likes this.
  11. Sil747

Sil747 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How would the process work if I open an account for my sister or mom.....I have 100k in my account right now..please break down the process. I would like the end of this that the "other" account would have zero points left in account.

12. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Milevalue does a great job of this: http://milevalue.com/forum-buzz-buy...s-for-1-1-cents-through-100-share-miles-bonus

Unless your sister or mom is planning on using those miles for an award to get said balance to zero, I don't believe your desire is worthwhile, since you can't transfer those miles back to you without a hefty fee from points.com

13. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    open the account, wait 12 days, transfer 25K miles to them, pay the ~$300 or so, then transfer those 25K +25K US miles back to you for the ~$531 fee. You will have a grand total of 175K miles and out about ~$830 dollars.

14. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a share the other night by opening a Dividend Miles account for my wife and was able to do the transfer into her account and back immediately. There was no 12 day wait necessary, at least based on my experience.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  15. ayarella

ayarella Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi! I'm also looking for someone with the 50k miles to share. Please email me at ayarella@gmail.com if you are still looking. :) Same boat, no family/friends have miles or are in miles programs...

16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where's the loss, though? The 2 minutes of time it took to generate the referral email?

17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pets, spouses, parents, kids, your mailman, the guy down the street...

viguera likes this.
  18. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's more of a lost opportunity than a realized loss.

19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily even that. Was the op prevented from referring anyone else?

20. Sil747

Sil747 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only wanted to do one exchange with someone. I was under the impression that the person was going to apply. This is what he said. Never heard from the person again when I PM him about the situation. In fact, I looked at his previous posts at FF and all of them was asking people he can refer the SPG card too....live and learn...no loss but I could have done the exchange with someone else as I had other PMs at FF.

21. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    That applies to brand new accounts. You can't transact into or out of, an account less than 12 days old per their T&Cs.

jparker likes this.