Anyone moved from Ink Bold to Plus

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by servo, Jan 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without a new app? Did you still receive the bonus points for the Plus on top of the already earned Bold points?

I got the Bold in November and have met my spend, and am wondering if I call up Chase and say that I'm not really liking that you have to pay the balance in full each month (which really isn't a problem - but a valid concern to an agent) and would like to switch to the Plus if they'd switch you to a new card with its own bonus offer. Has that been done before? I know people have just applied for the Plus while holding the Bold, but that costs you a hard pull on all 3 bureaus, if I'm not mistaken. I got a hard pull on all 3 when applying for the Bold.

GoodBoy likes this.
  2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan to go for the Plus about a month before the annual fee on my Bold hits.

GoodBoy likes this.
  3. chasingthepoints

chasingthepoints Active Member

Status Points:
    I tried moving from the regular Sapphire to Sapphire Preferred, and they would not honor the sign up bonus, but they'd be more than happy to change me into the program to which I declined and applied for the SP. I'd imagine the Inks are similar to that.

4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I apologize. I completely ignored the first line of your post. :(

My answer remains the same, but I will be applying for the Plus not trying some kind of conversion.

5. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on one quasi-related data point, my speculation would be no. I used to hold the no fee Sapphire. When Chase contacted me and offered me an upgrade to the CSP, they did not treat it as a separate product. They did not offer me the ability to earn 50,000 UR points after 3k spend (I think that was the offer at the time), nor could I convince them to extend the offer. My prediction is that they might well look at the Bold and the Plus similarly.

However, even if they do view the Bold and the Plus in the same manner, you might get something. A month after I was upgraded to the CSP, a 2500 point upgrade bonus appeared in my account.

miles and smiles likes this.
  6. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
  7. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    miles and smiles likes this.
  8. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I feel your pain ... so many blogs ... so little time.

Nevertheless, in general, I've found:
    • When downgrading to a lesser "version" of a card, you often don't need to do an app.
    • When upgrading to a better version, you often aren't offered the sign-up bonus (so just cancel and re-apply).

9. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was my assumption as well Ed, but I searched TOBB and here and didn't see it mentioned, so I figured it would be worth the question. Anything to avoid new inquiries!

10. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Meh. I own my house. I own my car. Fear not the inquiry, ... only the denial. Slow and steady wins the race.

11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I lease my cars, and rent my home (planning to move to a new one soon), and those always add more to the party.