Anyone interested trading a GPU for 2 RPU's?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AZjohn, Mar 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,
    Just wanted to check here before posting on FT and see if anyone would be interested to trade one of their GPU's (need a 1/13 expiration) for two of my 11/12 RPU's? Not exactly equal experation dates, but both are a long way off. Hope to book in the next couple of days.
    Thanks,
    John

2. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I understand it, the current GPUs no longer expire 1/31 of the following year. The latest expiry is 12/31/12 currently, unless you've found someone who has already flown their 1K this year.

Last year, I made 1K in the fall and those expire 12 months after they were awarded. I understand, however, if we call they will extend it to 12/31 only.

If anyone has anything official in writing from UA that shows differently, please let me know! Thanks.

karenkay likes this.
  3. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is my understanding as well. I made 1K 10/11, and my GPUs expire 10/12. I think the op will need to find a 1K that has already cleared 100,000 miles so far this year to find someone to trade with.

4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hit 1K in late december and my GPU's posted after the first of Jan. Thus all my 6 GPU's expire 1/13 (but have already used my 6 up :oops:)
    But I think you are correct that most everyone else had theirs posted before I did thus this is going to be hard right now. Maybe I will just use miles now because there is RN availability and then later trade with someone who requals for 1K and get their GPU's. I hope we can still swap out GPU's when miles were used like we could pre merger.
    Thanks,
    John

5. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that they now take the co-pay upfront (if applicable)

Jeff

6. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    No way, you got to be kidding :mad: .
    I haven't heard of this change.
    Thanks for your warning!

7. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA told me the same thing abut my GPUs that expire in August. They told me to call in July and they would do a 1 time extension through the end of the year.

8. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have a question:
    Because nobody seems to have any 1/13 SWU's, is it possible that someone with a 11/12 exp SWU can call UA and swap theirs for one of my SWU that applied on a PNR for November? That way UA would then deposit mine back and I can use that on the 1/13 ticket I want to UG. Will this work now (I know it use to work before the merger)?
    Thanks,
    John