Anyone have problems using Mariott Gift Cards in a Foreign Hotel

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by LAM, Jun 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to use Marriott gift cards to pay for my stay at a Marriott in Prague. Has anyone had problems converting the gift cards into a foreign currency?

Kalboz, uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I used them at the JW in Rio De Janiero and had absolutely no problem. Truth be told, they were not geniuses at converting and I actually saved some money.

icurhere2, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have trouble using them in Germany - CY Berlin is the worst - if you want to pay with your GC in a weekend, they will take your card (literally not giving you back).

CY Hamburg and Bremen - FD shocked and after 10 mins of talk he agreed to make a copy and try to charge it on a Monday (otherwise we authorised him to charge our CC)

CY Istanbul - rate was charged in EUR but then they charge it in Lira and covert back into USD - so we lost a bit in exchange rate.

Hong Kong CY - no problem.

However for those who had no problem it still takes you at least 10 mins extra to check out. The new system was slow. So if you have a early flight to catch, get it sorted out the night before.

Counsellor, marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used a Marriott GC at the Renaissance Bangkok and did not have any issues.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. We will be catching a train to Berlin after checkout so I will allow a little more time for checkout.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let us know how it worked out, please.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not settle up the day/night before checkout? (the last "night rate" may not have posted yet, but presumably it can be calculated to charge more than the bill is currently showing due [I can confirm they can bill more than currently showing due state-side])

Kalboz likes this.
  8. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I said, 'get it sorted out the night before' :)

I have done this and even to the extreme case that a hotel in Germany wanted me to make payment 15 mins after I checked in. It was for a 1 night stay from Friday to Saturday and the only person that can handle it will be off so she had to charge us before. Since they have no minibar and the breakfast is comp. there wasn't anything more to bill us.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never, used in Europe with no problem, i just informed FD when i checked in that ill be using Marriott gift cards.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Used in CY Hamburg last weekend and fortunately they had someone that can handle the card transaction. It took about 10 minutes to get it done.

First the staff didn't want to honour the points because he thinks that GC purchases are not eligible for points/elite night and then I told him that I always get it when I pay with GC and he said then I should get it.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:

Marriott policy doesn't provide flexibility for properties to opt out, so don't put yourself out if Berlin or anywhere else gives you a hassle. Make sure you have a clear xerox of all your card info. That way, if you lose or don't get the card back. you have simple recourse. Also, remember that when you check in, you've already guaranteed payment with your credit card. Therefore, you never have to worry about a hotel claiming you haven't paid if they won't accept your Gift Card... they'd always charge your credit card as a backup. While it might result in a hassle by phone later and/or the need to dispute a charge, if you politely ask the front desk to process your card on their time instead of waiting around and wasting yours, you'll be fine. Just ask them to copy your card info and process as they wish, or even provide them a similar xerox to the one you keep. Corporate would always have your back in the event your credit card is wrongfully charged, as all properties are supposed to accept Gift Cards.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    While generally this is correct, and the current version of language on the back of the Gift Cards does not explicitly say that the cards are not accepted at some Marriott properties, arguably implying that they are good at all Marriott locations, this is not necessarily true.

I was recently at a Marriott Executive Apartments and asked to use the Gift Card. The front desk said they do not accept them, and added that the back of the card said as much. I showed her the Gift Card and pointed out that the language she was referring to no longer appeared. I wondered whether that indicated a change in Marriott's policy. She promised to check.

The next day she informed me that she had indeed checked, and it was still Marriott policy NOT to honor the Gift Cards at Marriott Executive Apartments.

I also note that the Terms and Conditions on the Gift Card site still exclude Marriott Executive Apartments as a place where the Gift Cards can be used:

I have no idea why Marriott has this policy, but be advised that it apparently is still in effect despite the change in language on the Card itself.

13. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checked out of The Ren in DUS and it took about 20 mins to pay with the GC. The FD claimed that it was their first time doing it - I told them that I have used the very same GC at the very same hotel about 2 months ago and they looked shocked and told me that they need to learn how to do it.

The big problem for the GC T&C is the word 'participating'. It's annoying because it's basically like those stupid customer surveys on your burger meal receipt from Arby's and then you called in and filled in the code and then you go to the shop and they said, 'sorry we don't participate in this'.

14. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:

Not only doesn't it exclude certain properties, but they also list the brands/types at which they are accepted. The Executive Apartments is not one, which is why you ran into your problem. Anyone staying at the CY Berlin or any other CY, as well as any other participating brand/type, doesn't have to worry. If you ever have doubt, call Corp and ask about the specific property beforehand.

Counsellor likes this.
  15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are apparently lots of variations in the language on the back of the card. The language on the back of the "new" cards (the ones I received during the last "10 points per dollar" promotion) does not list brands/types where they are accepted. Instead, it says
    So, no listing of specific brands that participate or not, just the general statement that it may be used at over 3,600 hotels within the Marriott portfolio of brands. One reading this could understand that no brand is excluded.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, when you do go to the T&C on-line at gifts.marriott.com, though, it does omit the Executive Suites brand.

Great advice!