Anyone have DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by adambadam, Oct 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just moved and I am leaning towards going the DirecTV route as it seems to be a better deal than cable (Xfinity) and I am intrigued by some of their mobile applications for when I am on the go. Plus, I can still log into my folks Xfinity apps so I would end up with access to more content.

I was curious if any one had some thoughts about what they have decided to go with and how happy they are?

Please don't recommend cutting the cord entirely as I watch too much sports that I am not interested in giving up.

Also, it looks like there is a DirecTV referral deal currently where both parties get $10/month back for 10 months. So if any one wants to refer me I would use the first person to send me a PM.

2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had it many years ago. Didn't work in large storms and neighbor had a tree that affected reception as it grew but as long as you have a clear shot of the sky it's not that bad.

Jett Rink and viguera like this.
  4. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found them to be good, not great. Certainly a step up from cable.

Installation was easy (about 45 minutes total), although I'm not a huge fan of having a satellite dish sticking up off my roof.

The HD picture is terrific and the sound quality excellent. The DVR is not quite as good as TiVo, but it sure does the job and I would recommend you get a package that includes the DVR.

In a year, I've only had one outage and all I had to do was go and remove the snow that had collected in the dish (a broom did the trick).

Just know that adding any programming (such as HBO or a sports package) is easy, but that removing any programming takes a tedious phone call where you are offered all sorts of enticements to keep it. Just keep repeating a phrase such as "I'd like to remove my HBO package, thank you" and they finally get the idea. Its really annoying, and frankly it discourages me from signing up for any new programming (hmmm, Showtime would be nice so I could catch Homeland ...).

5. Sil747

Sil747 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like direct tv. If you have direct tv in your area, you can receive 25k American airlines for signing up two years. Cheaper than table warner cable for me.

6. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do what this guy did:
    philhartmansmallsoldiers-ph.jpg

goalie and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had DirecTV for 13 years now and couldn't be happier (cue the I remember when ... PPV was $0.99 ea). I have more outages with my cable modem than I ever have with my DirecTV. I just saw an email where they are allowing more channels to be accessed outside of your home network, which is nice, and they have a application that you can install on your computer to watch recorded shows on (which saves having another receiver due to that TV is connected to a HTPC).

If you have a clear line of site to the South, you should be fine. The farther up north you are, the shallower the dish is pointed on the horizon. The best bet is to drive around to see someone else who has one and see if it would work at your location. If you have any additional questions, feel free to start a conversation with me and we can talk on the phone if need be.

9. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ending up going with DirecTV. Just got it installed yesterday so still getting the lay of the land, but enjoying some Sunday ticket right now. I was trying to access some stuff On Demand on the computer to watch online though it didn't seem like a lot of it was available. Perhaps I just need to wait another day for more provisioning to finish.

Cali94102 likes this.
  10. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is it going so far? I've enjoyed it for the past 5-6 months. Much better than Time Warner's network, IME.

Cali94102 likes this.
  11. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been a fan. They upped their OnDemand offerings to be at least in line with Comcast I would say. I really like the STB/DVR. It is just well laid out and functional compared to my previous cable company one.