Anyone getting one of the new tablets?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Grace, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Motorola Xoom comes out Feb 24
    There's that Samsung one running Galaxy.

Anyone out there biting? Sometimes I think a tablet might be nice, but I see no real need for an iPad so I'm not sure if I'll have utility for an android tablet. they seem pretty pricey too.

2. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've ordered the HP Slate 500 for the office as its one of the very few with Win 7 and Pen functionality - and I plan to use MS OneNote on a Tablet. They have a few weeks backlog at the moment for the Slate.
    Also the ASUS Eee Slate 121 looks promising.

Pat89339 likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had an iPad since day one and love it. I also have a Windows (7) tablet computer (Lenovo Thinkpad) that I never use in tablet mode. Thought I would, but never liked interacting with Windows via stylus.

I am going to the Wednesday HP/Palm WebOS event, that might be an interesting device. I really like the WebOS platform (just not the physical Palm Pre device all that much).

Honeycomb looks nice, too. If Apple continues with their draconian policies towards developers and what they can do/cannot do, I might switch to Android pretty soon. But the Xoom is a bit pricey for my taste.

4. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've also had an iPad since day one, and I can't imagine not taking it with me on leisure trips. (For business trips, depending on what you do, of course, it probably wouldn't be sufficient.) I have a WiFi-only model and have only once or twice wished for 3G (but I also carry an iPhone). Other things I've occasionally missed: the ability to print boarding passes, tickets, etc. and uploading photos, both of which have reasonable workarounds.

5. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love my ipad but I may get a Motorola Xoom for my wife when they come out.

6. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll wait until v2 of the iPad comes out and then make a decision. Basically, the one with the most battery life wins for me.

7. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had an iPad from the day it came out, then got the 3G one when it came out, and had it for 6 months, just gave it to my parents.

While when traveling it had some great advantages (I use a Sprint unlimited international internet sim card for $40 US/month), being able to lookup email/information anywhere in the world (especially on trains/at airports, etc) is great.

However, when at home I find it useless, its too slow. Browsing the web on it is slow, when out and about withoug wifi, its also way too slow.

I'm excited to see the RIM (Blackberry) Playbook.

8. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan on getting a Playbook when they hit. I've been a Blackberry user since they were just a monochromatic message device with no phone.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mine will go to my parents when I find an adequate replacement. It's going to be a great device for them to keep up with email or light surfing without the hassle of booting up a computer.

I use my iPad at home more than my laptop nowadays. Almost all my "consumption" of news/feeds/emails happens on the iPad. It helps to have efficient tools like "Reeder" (sadly the MP RSS feeds aren't useful yet, though).

I saw the Playbook at CES and it looked great. Later, I read that it doesn't come with its own email/calendar client and somehow relies on you using a Blackberry with it. Well, I don't and won't have a BB, so that would be a no-starter. But I can't imagine that it will take long for someone to cook up an IMAP client using the Flex SDK. If I had more time, I'd look into that opportunity myself.

10. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fact that the playbook goes through the blackberry is one of the benefits imho. That way I only need one international unlimited roaming agreement.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My iPad gets email/calendar data through my iPhone, too (courtesy of MyWi)... or through my wife's EVO hotspot feature... or simply through WiFi if available. I guess I don't see the benefit or even need to be tied to a Blackberry. It may have something to do with RIM's special email servers, but the fact remains that since I don't want a Blackberry, it will exclude me from the potential Playbook customer base until there are other email/calendaring options.

12. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like the Motorola Xoom. But at $800 they'll get no sale from me. Maybe when there's a WiFi only version that hopefully is reasonable. I just don't think tablets should cost so much more than entry-level laptops.

I'll hope I can get my hands on a Nook Color for $250 (they've been yanked from shelves and rumor is it's to install measures to prevent what I'm about to type) and install Android 3.0 prerelease on an SD card.

13. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Originally I thought this was dumb. But odds are you'll always have your BB device on or near you anyway. Even if you simply used your BB as a wireless hotspot (that'll come to all BB's eventually) that still costs less than a data plan specific for a tablet. And you can use any device with your hotspot phone, not just a tablet.

Then of course there are the various non-carrier-billed methods of tethering to a phone via WiFi, Bluetooth or USB cable to get internet access from your tablets, laptops, etc.

But then again, until people get lengthy hands-on with the Playbook it's hard to know if there will be much of a market for it with non-BlackBerry customers.

I for one am tired of the dangled carrots of new phones, tablets, pads, etc, endless commercials and SuperBowl ads but limited or no launch dates or price info. Fractions of info slowly trickle out. The PlayBook has been bragged about for many months now, it's absurd. CES was over a month ago and most of the new phones have no launch date yet. The Verizon iPhone was officially announced days after CES and it's out now but none of the new Android phones or tablets are. It all makes me quite disinterested really and reminds me I can continue making what I currently own last quite a lot longer. The "gotta-have-it" mood is gone for me on most of this stuff.

14. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Running myfi or whatever it is on my ipod really drained battery life fast.

15. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting to see the new generation of tablets only just compete with the iPad, which is about to be refreshed. Apple really stole a lead on this one. The best were those Win 7 tablets with a Ctrl-Alt-Del button!

joesmoe likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The odds are exactly zero in my case. I just don't see myself switching to a BB phone any time soon. I have seen many people go from BB to iPhone or Android, but not many if any the other way around.

What's the technical reason for this requirement anyway? I heard that it was just a shortcut to let them release the device in March, and that they'd release a BB-independent solution later in the year. Too lazy to google for it now.

In any case, if you do like/use a BB, the Playbook looks looks like a slick device to get.

17. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love my BB, the only problem with it is that the GPS doesn't work when traveling abroad - So i'm switching it up solely because of that. I really need the GPS.

I've tried Android and Apple devices so far, and prefer the apple devices overall - though they are more fragile than the bb, not nearly as instant and good in general with email, and I hate the soft keyboard.

18. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, to some extent. For me, the lack of a swappable battery is a deal killer - both because I can't use a spare or higher capacity aftermarket ones nor can I simply replace it down the road when it stops holding a charge. (Yea, I know, Apple would rather I just buy the latest and greatest when that happens.) I also hate the lack of built-in SDHC slot and USB ports but they're not total deal killers. Then I'm also not the average consumer since I'm an IT geek and I'd rather get my hands dirty on a Linux based tablet any day.

I laugh at Jobs' comments in late 2010 referring to Android tablets as nothing more than a giant phone (prior to Android being given the Honeycomb 3.0 treatment, designed exclusively for tablets). Nevermind the fact that the iPad was compared to a giant iPhone/iPod by many reviewers. And that's not necessarily bad, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the argument.

I still think for the time being tablets are overpriced (and if the iPad is overpriced, the Xoom is extremely overpriced) - as only this year will dual core devices come out and that's been available on low end laptops for less money for a couple of years. And for $100 you could put in an aftermarket touch panel. Consider the fact the Nook Color for $250 is clearly capable of running Android 3.0.

19. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think all mobile devices should have removeable batteries, that is one thing I hate about the iPad/iPhone.

ArizonaGuy likes this.
  20. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Removable batteries by definition mean bulkier devices, unfortunately.

Interesting that in the tablet market at least, no one can accuse Apple of ripping people off :)

21. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Mrs. Cholula and I are both eager to get iPads but are waiting for the next edition, presumably, sometime this Spring. No super big hurry as we both have iPhones, iMacs and I have a MacBook laptop. Not sure where the iPad will fit into the scheme of things in our life but we'll figure it out.

22. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will likely be getting a tablet later this year, probably an iPad2 but open to maybe a Xoom, but I will wait and see what the reviews look like from the guinea pigs who will buy it the second they are available.

Whichever tablet, I will likely get a wi-fi model.

23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wall Street Journal did a pretty good job on news and accurate updates leading to the Verizon iPhone4 announcement. Thus, there's probably some credibility to the news out today about iPad2:

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...643125168876.html?mod=WSJ_newsreel_technology

24. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the bulkier device argument usually but in the case of mobile phones there are many comparable (physically) devices that have removable batteries. On a phone I need to carry a spare or consider a 3rd party bulkier battery with replacement battery door. I also keep phones longer than 12 months and we all know batteries don't last forever. Sending it in to Apple and twiddling my thumbs isn't an option.

Back on the tablet topic - it makes one wonder how Apple is able to sell the iPad for considerably less than the new Android tablets coming. Granted they have dual core processors and the screens (in some cases) are higher resolution but still. Do that many people still spend gobs of disposable cash like that? The HP TouchPad running WebOS just announced yesterday doesn't have a price yet so we don't know how that will compare. In any case I really doubt many will drop $800 or $900 for a tablet. Like the Samsung Galaxy Tab I expect the prices to fall after the initial new novelty wears off.

25. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those who've not seen it, the HP TouchPad looks really interesting, but no price – that's worrying.