Anyone ever had points taken back?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rangersfan, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I will open a card for an airline, or hotel program, that we don't fly/stay at to often. So, sometimes it takes a while to use those points. I've always been hesitant to close the account before using the points because I've been afraid they could take the points back (the sign-up bonus).

Has anyone ever had that happen? If so, which card was it?

2. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most cards have something in their T&C about how long the card must be valid for the bonus points to remain. With cards that have an annual fee , I think as long as you don't try to get back a retroactive portion of the fee if closing it before the year is up, they let the sign up bonus stand.

3. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hasn't happened to me, but I believe Chase may clawback your miles/points if you close your credit card within six months.

4. I have heard of this, but it is rare.
    Since it upsets people, it works against the goals of a Loyalty program.
    If its a mistake, the airline either admits they screwed up or that their software is crap.
    In the end, better off not attempting a retake in the age of social networking.

5. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the points get auto-converted into miles and go straight to your airline/hotel account then I don't see how the credit card companies can claw back those miles.

I've had instances where I had a fairly large refund after canceling a flight and the mileage balance on my AMEX was in the negative. They certainly didn't attempt to get back any miles that I still had.

6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually if you keep the cards open for a fair amount of time (think >=6 months) you should be fine. ALWAYS read the T&Cs though as each individual offer may differ.

7. Thanks for the info. I've always had them open for 6-8 months before thinking about closing them. Sometimes points will sit in an account for 12 months or more (for a program I don't use often) before using them. I figured that was sufficient time but just wanted to see if anyone had a different experience.

8. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've also heard that you need to keep you Chase cc open for six months in order to retain your points. If there are no yearly fees and no debt on the cards, you might want to keep them open. It improves your credit rating. I generally close cards when I get the first yearly fee. Once I see the fee on the statement I call to cancel. Sometimes they will offer you FF miles to keep the card open.

9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    When rapid churning of Citi AA cards was possible, many people were canceling their AA cards after 60-90 days so that they would not have too much open credit with Citi. No one ever had any problem with a clawback.

Chase, OTOH, has been known to take miles back if you cancel the card / account in less than 6 months. They now have that in some of their documents that you agree to (specifically checking accounts).

With AMEX MR, if you cancel your card (and do not have another card tied to the account) you will lose the points in the account. So in this case make sure you use the points before you close the account.

Irrespective of any of this, make sure that your account stays active. Some accounts require activity in 12 months or you will give up any miles / points in your account. Others are 12 months and yet others do not require activity.

Bottom line, is to make sure you keep track of your accounts and keep them from expiring.

AtomicGardener likes this.