Anyone Ever Comp'd You Into Admirals Lounge?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by anng3, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On FT they say stand outside and ask someone going in to take you in as a guest. Have you ever taken anyone in or asked to be guested?

lisamcgu likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No one has ever asked me, but I have had a few times when I was entering the Admiral's Club or Flagship Lounge when someone was trying to bring someone extra in (usually families) and when they were denied I offered to guest the remaining person in.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once and never again. Some guy outside one of the MIA clubs saw me entering and asked me to guest him in.
    About 5 mins later he had the balls to tell me it want worth it since there was no food .. that spoilt it for anyone else who tries.

4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow.... People amaze me every day.

I have been guested in once. I don't know the guy the guested me but if you're out there I thank you. I bought a membership my next visit.

5. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never, ever thought about standing outside an Admiral's Club and asking someone to take me in as a guest/companion. Starting to wonder if I should ...

6. rchavez
    Original Member

rchavez Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry, but I really feel like this is just plain tacky.

Where I have guested people into the lounge is if we happened to be chatting on an inbound flight, etc. Then I'm perfectly happy to extend the invitation. But I would never solicit admittance by haggling members on their way in.

In full disclosure, however, a stranger's chances of success are always positively improved by degree of attractiveness. :D

7. rchavez
    Original Member

rchavez Active Member

Status Points:
    This is probably the only situation where I would do this for someone completely out of the blue and without any prior context. And a couple of times, I had genuinely considered it until I saw the reaction of the person trying to get in when refused. DYKWIA is such a turn off.

If the individual(s) were polite, and politely accepted the agent's refusal, I think in that case I would have no problems inviting them in as my guest. Especially if it is a family or small group traveling together and they just need one more spot.

lisamcgu likes this.
  8. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could not imagine hanging around the door and asking someone to guest me in. Plenty of times I've been delayed and had to sit in gate area if I didn't have a pass.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Each time I've offered it's been a husband and wife with a younger child. DYKWIA types don't bother trying to ask me I've found; I'm the guy they push past when trying to board because I'm not in a suit. ;)

10. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Asking to be guested in is tacky. It's begging, that's what it is.

And then to be unappreciative is even worse.

I've never guested anyone in, nor have I asked. One time, though, I saw an old man by the counter at LAX just waiting. I went in and got myself processed for entry, and he angrily said something to me, which I thought was asking to be guest in, but it was angry, so I wasn't sure. I thought maybe I cut in line? but the AC agent didn't bother with him and just let me in while he just stood there. Ten minutes later, after I was all settled in the club, I see him come up the stairs. Maybe he was asking to be guest in.

11. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have asked when I have been in an airport with no club to which I belonged, and have always been acccepted, except once by a grouchy old turd who was just way too full of himself anyway. Usually my host raves about what a good idea it is and asks if I mind if they borrow it. Why would I? I borrowed the idea myself. ;)

If the request is made with good humor and respect, without any expectations, I don't see how it is tacky.

More often, I offer to take in others as guests, whether they be seatmates or travelers being refused at the check-in desk.
    Now, since we are RCC members and carry Priority Passes, it is less of an issue, but we will be flying in first-class on American a couple of times this spring and summer and have no idea what we will do during our connections.

12. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    TH has done the same thing. It usually is an older couple that she will guest in. My only concern are the people who will drink too much and jump on the bar and do their best Charlie Sheen imitation.

13. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry Lalala, most older couples are beyond jumping on the bar. ;) They just do their Charlie Sheen imitations while seated on the bar stool.

14. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the Amex Plat, so my answer isn't just limited to AA, but I will always say no to the person asking - part of me wants to say, yes, for $10.

I do try to invite people in, including people I meet on the plane, people wearing USF gear, military in uniform, and sometimes just a random stranger.

15. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only time I have been guested in was when I was doing multiple mileage runs during the DAL promo in 2006. Another FT member was on the same flights and we arranged to be in adjoining seats, and had a nice time talking about flying. During the STL interval between flights, he guested me in, but we had already been talking for a couple of hours, and wanted to continue the conversation. The upside to AA is that I liked it, and now am a paying member.

The idea of hanging around the entrance and trying to mooch admittance from total strangers seems pathetic to me. Might as well sit on the floor with your back against the wall, a tin cup, and a sign printed on cardboard ripped from a cardboard box saying "Need $50 for a day pass". Some people have no pride whatsoever.

I do remember a guy on a Caribbean trip trying to get into the DFW T-4 club. He informed the gatekeeper that he was a "two million mile Super-EXP". He obviously had no clue what AA considers international for purposes of status-based club access. I didn't offer to host him in, left him there arguing with her when I went in.

bluesky and FlyMeToTheLooneyBin like this.
  16. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    #Winning!

I did once guest in an older couple on my flight that missed their connection to Hawaii. We had an aircraft swap, and I helped them navigate the SkyLink to change terminals. And then upon arrival, I chatted with them about their situation and offered to guest them into the AC to get rebooked and wait out the time until their next flight.

Any moocher standing outside a club that asks me will be informed that day passes only cost $50.

17. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts exactly!

I've never read this "strategy" on FT, but then again I don't read every thread and every post... but this strikes me as the tackiest maneuver possible!

Last year I was stuck in JFK enroute to FCO (in the aftermath of the volcanic mess), a 2 hour layover that turned into a 6 hour layover. During which time we were herded to and fro different gates, awaiting equipment, then being reassigned equipment, all the while the GAs saying the flight could be outright cancelled. I ended up talking to a nice couple for quite awhile, as we commiserated together on the ordeal. When the GA announced that it would be another hour and a half b4 the new plane arrived we all decided to go back to the lounge. I was only entitled to the AC (not from membership but because I was flying int'l in J) but my new found friends offered to try to get me into their FL even though their limit was already filled with the 2 of them. I thanked them for their nice intention and kind gesture, but I felt really uncomfortable with this and didn't even want to attempt it (fearing the awkwardness and embarrassment of being denied), so I just kept to the AC.

It's truly hard for me to fathom the type of person who is ok with begging their way into someplace they have no business in being....

18. stu52
    Original Member

stu52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was a member for one year and found that the number of times that I visited didn't seem to make it worth the membership. The past couple of years I have been traveling such that my layovers were very short, so a membership didn't seem warranted.

The only time I asked to be guested into an AC was when I was going IAH-DFW-LAX with a long layover in DFW. I was in F on the IAH-DFW leg and got to talking with my seat mate...as we were deplaning, I asked if he would guest me into the AC since I had a longer than normal layover. He was happy to do so. He got me in and left the club since he lived in Dallas.

lisamcgu likes this.
  19. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    As my kids would say, "Chill and your life will be happy!"

So you are you really shocked that we would ask somone to guest us into their club? Heck, we even crash black-tie dinner dances if they have a good band in the hotels where we are staying. We shower daily, are charming and polite, and dance well enough that we figure that we add a little class to any joint we enter. Boy do I have some amazing stories to tell. :D :D Remind me to tell them if we ever meet.

Smile, laugh, and be happy and people will do a lot of amazing things for you just out of the kindness of their generous hearts.

I am very generous and very open with strangers I meet while traveling (I have made some great friends this way), and my attitude of openess seems to come back to me from those I meet along the way. It's all attitued. In my mind, strangers are just friends I haven't met, so why not reach out and open up the lines of communication?

The very worst that can happen is that some cranky pants will get up tight and refuse. If that happens, pray that their life will bring them greater joy and be happy.

http://www.superlaugh.com/1/behappy.htm

lisamcgu and eponymous_coward like this.
  20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not the AC, but I struck up a convo with a DL Plat on an AS SEA-BOS flight. I explained that I was mileage running (doing an immediate turn to SEA, this was my Gold qualifying flight). He looked at me like I was a bit, um, peculiar... and he offered to guest me into the DL SkyClub.

It did have food, and I was quite grateful. I've also met up with a FTer in the AS Lounge Meetup thread over there and hit the SEA Board Room.

I have a trip around the world planned in May-June where I will be in F and C almost the whole trip, and I'll be going to places like the UA IFLs in SFO and NRT, the SKL in SIN, the Premier Lounge at DPS, the BKK EK Lounge, the Wing in HKG, the FCL in ZRH, and the LH Welcome Lounge and the FCT in FRA. I intend to pay the kindnesses people have shown me forward, and hopefully make new friends, even if it's just a brief meeting in a lounge.

21. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you are traveling is F & C, it will allow you in the lounge, but will you be able to bring a guest?

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I guess on this score I am. We have flown only AS and UA for so long, where we are actually lounge members, that I honestly don't know how it works for other airlines. I do remember once, however, when I didn't have my 1k card with me at an LH lounge in FRA, and they made me wait for Hunki, who did have his card, before they let me in. That seem strange now because I have never flown to Europe in coach so I don't know why I needed my 1k card, but I do remember that happening.

I can remember another time when I ran into an LH lounge, showed them my AS Boardroom card by mistake and they just smiled and let me in. I didn't realize what I had done until I was sitting down, arranging my cards in my purse. :) You never know.

lisamcgu likes this.
  22. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't see myself doing it, as I don't have Punki's personality :D, but everything she has posted regarding guesting herself in sounds happy, good and nice. And you can't go wrong with that :) Back when I was able to guest others in, I always took the op. Also, if I had extra drink coupons, I didn't want them to go to waste, so I would give those away as well. And, if there was military personnel at the bar, it was my personal policy to offer to buy them a drink, with or without coupons. More times than naught they refused because others had beat me to it and they couldn't drink anymore :D

YULtide and eponymous_coward like this.
  23. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always pass on your drink chits. Its just good form. Glad to read that.

lisamcgu likes this.
  24. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I will also have Star Alliance Gold status, and all but one of my flights (Air Berlin FRA-TXL) is on a Star Alliance carrier. That + premium class tickets should work for something for guesting folks into a lounge. ;)

Lufthansa is very, very picky about lounge access. I seem to recall that they want cards for accessing the Senator Lounges, even if Star Gold is printed on the boarding pass.

Oh, and I think I'll pass out my CO Currency while I'm on this trip, too. Doesn't UA charge for drinks in TATL coach? That strikes me as a bit mean. :mad: Might as well give some people a little liquid joy in that case.

lisamcgu likes this.
  25. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

YULtide likes this.