Anyone else stuck in or around NRT?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Singapore Flyer, Feb 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heaviest snow falls in 45 years grounded Tokyo to a halt and caused numerous flights to be cancelled and tourist and residents alike to sleep at the airport. Those lucky enough to get to a local area airport were fortunate. Our UA flight never made it out if de icing when our flight crew times out. Two days in Nara before we can get to Singapore. It was quite a mess with (the lack of a ) UA ground crew as they told everyone on their 4 cancelled flights to get their luggage, clear immigration and call UA's US 800 number to get resolved. Surprising when I took to twitter they were able to rebook after explaining the craziness at NRT.

image-1856772807.jpg

image-4132267886.jpg

image-70705380.jpg

image-2436637935.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Kalboz, kiwi, iolaire and 4 others like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have UA crew friends stuck there but they're enjoying the additional paid time in Tokyo. :)

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    We are too (now) but there were a couple of crews that had no proper clothes or hotel rooms. The worse is not knowing what and where to go if you had no plan or experience with Japan. Ppl were pissed. UA said to email customer service to see if they would cover any of the costs. Fortunately we had some winter clothes as we came from NY and will be in HKG later.

WilliamQ, Flyer1976 and iolaire like this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can feel the pain but weather related delays will be tough to claim from airlines but Travel Insurance are a whole different matter. I try to get that everytime I leave the country (considering annual plan)

Couple weeks back, I was travelling between Singapore to Malaysia, the family's luggage almost got lost in transit. Worse thing was that it was one of those trips we tried to save some money by not shelling out for the insurance. Made a resolution not to do so again especially when travelling with family.

Fortunately, luggage was retrieved from the transit together with a couple more passengers and after a short delay, we were out of the airport.

5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not stuck in or around NRT...but I wish I were.

6. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    hope you get out of NRT soon !

7. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    hopefully we'll be in Singapore in less than 20 hours.

8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I heard back from UA. They apologized for the issues and issued me $250 in ETC for the three of us. From what I read, that isn't great because of how they could be used but I guess I should be content? edited to clarify my absolutely horrible typing skills. Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    WilliamQ and Kalboz like this.
  9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great that they made the effort to make it up to you even if it is in the form of ETC.
    Did the delay at NRT affected your subsequent trip to HK?

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  10. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Fortunately, it didn't affect that leg of our trip, but it did throw everything off on the front end. We originally were going to BKK but cancelled when it was getting a little uneasy for my parents and inlaws to bring our toddler to BKK, so we were looking forward to spending a solid week in Singapore to see friends and family, but that basically got shot and we were back to our condensed block. We managed, but it wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been. I really felt bad for those that came from warmer climates and couldn't make it out to GUM or SIN as they didn't have any clothes. We at least had the clothes on our backs coming from NYC.