Anyone else having problems with getting the right # of gold passport points?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Jun 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that my point calculation was off. My girlfriend has mentioned the same problem recently. Anyone else having problems with getting the right # of gold passport points?

2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the same problem back in February. The point calculation was off by around 6000! A quick PM to Gold Passport Concierge resolved the problem quickly though. :)

lwkatya likes this.
  3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had the same problem but a call to GP took care of it. What I think is the biggest pain is not knowing what charges are or aren't or included in the points calculations ie. exclusion of taxes or meals.

lwkatya likes this.
  4. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In the past, I often have trouble reconciling points precisely. I've had some mattress runs at my local Hyatt for precisely the same $ amount but received different point amounts. Sometimes the points are over what is expected, other times is under - if the number is not significant (in the 100s), I don't bother getting it corrected.

lwkatya likes this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Now, is it me or is Hyatt the most fault prone when it comes to awarding points? I don't think I've ever noticed previous stays at Hilton, Marriott or Starwood lead to point mess ups as I have with Hyatt. Right now, they have gotten 3 out of my last 3 stays wrong. Crossing my fingers for my stay this week.

6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So I just called the GP and got it fixed again. Great service level. I discovered in my conversation that each hotel manually enters the base point amount and diamond amenity amount into the system. Supposedly, at each Hyatt property, the staff has been trained to enter the base and amenity awards correctly. Hate to put my consulting hat on for free but it sounds like there is an obvious opportunity to improve Hyatt's processes and service level with a little automation.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So they manually go through each folio and add up the line items that qualify for points and then multiply that with 5, add the status bonus, and that then gets posted? No wonder most stays post somewhat incorrectly.

lwkatya likes this.
  8. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ugh - I doubt its that bad - they probably have to check off which items are eligible for points and those are then calculated by GP once its received. I think that the confusion sometimes lie in the confusion of what items are eligible for points beyong the base room rate (things like taxes, valet parking, restaurant / bar, spa charges etc). The new folios make it more difficult for us to figure this out also since *s are no longer next to line items which aren't eligible.

Some of the incidentals can be a bit tricky since some charges are eligible at some properties while the same charges may not be at another property based upon if its charged by the property itself or a third party contractor (like most valet parking operations).

lwkatya likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still, if that is a manual process that's performed for each and every folio by hand (or mouse, clicking checkboxes on the computer) then it's time someone at Hyatt were to look at the calendar on the wall that hopefully tells them it's the year 2011 :D

lwkatya likes this.
  10. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll let you be the judge. The three errors I have received were all different:
    1 - Only counted 1 night of 3 into the base points. Did not count restaurant spend.
    2 - Did not give me Diamond amenity points.
    3 - Only counted 1 night of 3 + added 1 point for each $ spent at restaurant.

None of my receipts had any other incidentals other than dining.

11. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find some international properties consistently underreport. BKK always seems to short me 25%.

12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    My last 3 Park Hyatt stays have been totally off, short by 70%!

Had to call and it was posted immediately. No reason why this happened other than the properties posted the wrong amount of points.

All other brands post correctly.

13. Over the past eight stays, the Summerfield Suites has missed the 500 pt diamond amenity three times but everything else (# nights, 30% diamond bonus etc) has been fine.

I gave them my Southwest RR# for the first time last week so I'm crossing my fingers that those points will get posted correctly.

GP's customer service has corrected the error quickly so it's just a few minutes of hassle (plus the credit card pitch of course)

Kaanapali likes this.
  14. J Zidell VP Hyatt

J Zidell VP Hyatt Official Representative

Status Points:
    Dear Milepoint Members,

I wanted to jump in here to let you know that we are aware of and working to resolve any and all point posting issues as quickly as possible. Our systems are largely automated; therefore, all points should post accurately without manual intervention; however, we do encounter problems from time to time regarding how the room rate was initially set up in the system by the property. We make every effort to track and correct errors as soon as we find them, and we appreciate your help in identifying those that we may have missed.

The only “exception to the rule” is the Diamond Welcome Amenity bonus, which does rely on our Front Desk associates to post a code to apply the points. We are increasing our training to ensure compliance with the proper procedure.

I can assure you that our goal is 100% accuracy, and it is as disappointing to us as it is to you when points don’t post correctly.

If you do encounter an issue, please contact Hyatt Gold Passport Customer Service at:

Phone: 1.800.544.9288

Email: GPCS@Hyatt.com

As always, I appreciate your feedback, and wish you safe travels.

With my warmest personal regards,

Jeff

RicGarrido, jfhscott, cennas and 3 others like this.
  15. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am glad you guys are working on this issue and welcome to Mile Point.

16. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally you will find that doing miles + diamond amenity frequently requires calling GP, at least once, to ensure that they do not do either 1) a points only stay (Dia amenity + points/bonus points for room post, but no miles) or 2) a miles only stay (Miles post, but no Dia amenity posts at all).

My last several stays this month at two different Hyatts have resulted in the portfolio clearly showing the WN number, and the 1W code for Diamond amenity....but somehow never the correct posting of miles and points. First couple of times, one call took care of it. I am calling back for the third time today to try to get the 1W on a miles posting. Sometimes....you need to follow-though (and through again) with GP...

gobears86 likes this.
  17. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It gets really frustrating having to make so many calls to GP. My last three stays, diamond amenity and closed RC points posted correctly, but points posted instead of miles. Emailed GP to change the stays to miles, and 1) no response of the email received (which I used to get at least a canned response email), 2) no response of the action taken, and 3) upon checking my account, the miles posted alright but the CS took away the amenity and closed RC points. :rolleyes: I'm just gonna wait until all my stays are done this month and correct everything at once instead of making a call or email after every stay.

18. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad to hear Hyatt is aware of the issue and is working to resolve the problems. Looking forward to the day that I won't have to call the GP desk to get points to post correctly.

19. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Welcome Jeff!!!

20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Good to see Jeff here! He's consistently said, e.g. in NYC at the end of April, that correct posting of points is a big deal for Gold Passport. He explained that as one of the reasons for pulling G bonuses (though I'd sure like to see something replacing them sooner rather than later...). No doubt incorrect points posting is a driver of costs at least as much though probably more so than it's a cost savings due to the cost of customer service reps manually dealing with our complaints, handling reviews, and physically posting the points.

Though the Diamond 1000 point amenity remains a manual process, since it's a choice, I'd love to see properties have to opt out rather than affirmatively apply the code, in other words they'd remove the code from a Diamond reservation is the member opted for a non-points amenity.

21. So my first two stays under the SW RR promotion have resulted in scenario 1 above (regular stay points + 30% points bonus) but without the diamond amenity. I saw the FD diligently entering in my SW RR# (check-in took a little longer than usual) so I had high hopes both times.

So I called GP and the CS rep attempted to fix the problem, checked my account Today and noticed that I have two miles postings - but no diamond amenity and no regular stay points either (only the 600 miles for each stay).

So I will be following thru again with GP.

22. Windwalker
    Original Member

Windwalker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had to call\request for every stay this year for the Gx bonus
    same property, it never gets posted

23. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, Hyatt's automated systems are the worst of the Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott and Starwood, with respect to capturing points. I'll likely need to call them at some point in the next week or so to do my monthly "true up" to get credit for the 1000 points diamond amenities which post automatically perhaps 10% of the time.

Happily, Hyatt's customer service represenatives are as excellent and efficient as the IT automated systems are lacking, and this very much mitigates the recurring IT problems.

- Jim

24. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pokerhammy, by far my biggest frustration with them is the times I try to elect miles rather than points. The good news is in the end I have always been able to get it fixed (most agents nice, one not so much), but why do we have to watch this soooo carefully? The bad news is that virtually every time since trying to return to Hyatt in summer 2010, after years awa,y I have had to call to get them to fix it. Virtually every time, August 2010 through this spring.

All of the stays for which I elected miles were at "Hyatt Place," and I began to notice that even when I specified miles on the reservation, my miles info was not in the kiosk at check-in, so I would put it in, and it would be gone the next morning at check-out. So finally I raised Cain with a local hotel's general manager at checkout and she agreed to fight the battle for me. Seemed to be tough for her too, but finally she was able to link me to Jeff Zidell, who referred the case to GP Customer Service Director Vicky Willis, who acted like this was a new problem, and said it would be rare because not many people elect miles. (Well, if they weren't getting the miles they wanted but were getting points instead, the statistics might SHOW her that, but that could be misleading, right?)

Anyway, despite saying how wanting miles is rare, she described my problem as "high priority" for her, and said at one point technical people were flown in from Chicago to Omaha to troubleshoot. But still, weeks later, she has been unable to confirm for me that this won't happen again, and, last we communicated, still wouldn't say this was a more general problem and one not just isolated to me. It frustrated me for her to take that position when at least one agent and one supervisor had told miles-vs-points was a known problem.

Now, Pokerhammy I see this has happened to you, too.

Pokerhammy ,was this miles-stay you wanted at a Hyatt Place, per chance? (Vicky Willis told me she suspected the kiosk software, but obviously I have no idea if she is barking up the correct tree, so I am curious.)

I see comments on here vs. the other programs. I am mid-level elite with Hilton (Gold - was Diamond when I used to travel more), Hyatt (Platinum), Omni (Platinum), and La Quinta (Gold), plus "Vested" (Lifetime) Platinum with American Airlines. I have had occasional issues with each and every one of those programs, but NONE so frustrating as the virtually constant repetition of this miles vs points thing with Hyatt (and another with Hyatt regarding the AAA rate when I elect Gold Passport points on multi-night stays).

The other programs fix their issues when I call and I seldom see the same issue again.

While there is no problem with Jeff Zidell and Vicky Willis being polite, I have this weekend escalated my problem with Hyatt best I can, because I am so frustrated they can't tell me there is a solution. I have had four bookings to make in the last month and avoided Hyatt each time until they can tell me they've fixed this. And that really bothers me because I so admire their properties and their hospitality worldwide.

Anyway, Pokerhammy, with which Hyatt brand(s) have you had the points-miles problem?

25. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Restless, by any chance were you using a quite acceptable, but discounted, rate, like AAA?

The same thing as your problem "1" happened to me on two multi-night stays at a Hyatt Regency resort on the AAA rate. (I also had put down a deposit on the first night each time, for whatever that's worth.) Credit for the first night only both times, and the stays were six months apart, meaning obviously they hadn't fixed the glitch. The first time I had to call twice -- got an agent who demanded FAX proof of my stay and acted suspicious that I had booked not directly through Hyatt (I indeed booked straight through hyatt.com). When the points were still not credited after my FAX, I called again, and got the corrected points right away. Six months later when the identical situation occurred, I called and got an agent who told me there is a known problem how some systems treat the qualifying AAA rate, and, again, gave me the corrected points right away. Six months after THAT, when I was put in touch with Gold Passport Customer Service director Vicky Willis via Jeff Zidell on another problem, I mentioned this one to her too, and told her she needed to make sure this didn't keep recurring. While very polite, she acted surprised and said she had never heard of this -- even though one of the phone agents had told me, months before, it was a known problem. That bothered me. Now I see your apparently very similar situation. Ugh