Anyone else have problems with Citi Personal card applications?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by tzoom84, Nov 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I recently applied for the 50,000 point Citi Thank You Premier card. My wife had no problem, but for the 2nd time in the past 2 years I've been declined by Citi.

I also applied for the Citi AA promo back in August 2010, and was declined for the same reason: Credit obligations are too high for my stated income. Both times I've provided a copy of recent credit reports, proof of income, stated my history with Citi, etc. But they seem to not provide any more information on the denial even though I did my best to provide proof.

Citi personal is the only department I cannot get accepted. For the past few years I've always maintained a 750+ FICO score, less than 10 inquiries at any given time, and credit debt at less than 2% (I always pay off immediately). For any other bank, I've never been denied: Barclays, Chase, Amex, etc. I was even able to get a Citi business with no problems.

Does anyone else have the same problems with Citi personal cards? If so, how do you handle it? I'm about ready to give up entirely on Citi personal cards since they just seem to be wasting inquiries.

2. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried writing the chief executive review dept.? P.O. Box 6000
    Sioux Falls, SD 57117

They seem to have some clout w/ reconsiderations. In my experience the reps and supervisors have no authority to reconsider.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mentioned credit card debt, but what about car loan, mortgage or any other loans? If you have any, do you and your wife have both names on them?

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Also, how many credit cards do you have and what is the total available credit that you have? It could be a problem of the credit you currently have available vs you stated income.

5. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the input everyone. Some followup:

- I haven't tried mailing that PO Box. Instead I faxed the info in. But given that recommendation I'll give it a shot.

- I do have student loan debt and a mortgage. My wife also has student loans at about the same amount, but is not on the mortgage. But I was under the impression from the phone calls that the "credit obligation too high" referred to to the credit card revolving debt. Is that not the case?

- Wife and I both have the same amount of credit cards and roughly same total credit limit. Given that, my credit limit (sum across all cards) is probably about 50% my gross income. Less than 1% of that is used at any given time as I tend to be paranoid about maintaining a balance at any time.

So it seems that perhaps Citi is factoring in my other obligations (home + student loans) and possibly my summed credit limit and perhaps weighting that a bit more than the other lenders?

I suppose one option, if I wish to pursue Citi in the future, is to call up for all my current credit cards and significantly reduce the credit limit on each. Since I don't keep a balance, my credit utilization ratio won't change much.

6. Did you get any responce from them when you send them a letter? I am in the same situation. My husband got approved instantly, but I wasn't... Don't know what to do now...

7. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haven't sent yet because I forgot. thanks for the reminder! :)