Anyone else going to AA event at BOS on 3/4?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mikeef, Feb 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife got a call on Saturday from someone at AA inviting her to an event at BOS to view the new JAL Dreamliner that will be flying BOS-NRT. She gets to bring a +1, so my fingers are crossed. Are any other MPers going? Note: Thread cross-posted at TOBB to maximize the fun.

Mike

2. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't get a call, but not surprising since I am quite far from BOS. If for some reason your wife decides she doesn't like you, please let her know I will be glad to attend.

JALPak likes this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were anywhere near BOS (STR is a few miles away), I'd definitely attend....if invited. ;)

4. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hands off! She's mine :p

5. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look, if you guys are just using her for her elite status, well, actually, I can't blame you for that, even though I think she's pretty hot, also.

Best thing about the event: I constantly ask her what date the event is and she says, "March fourth." Then, I go stomping around the room. She falls for it every time.

Mike

Jeff the Wanderer likes this.
  6. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is now 3/2 and we haven't heard anything more. If Ashton Kutcher jumps out of the closet and tells me that we've been Punk'd, I'm gonna kick him in the pills.

Mike

7. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, the photos I took are apparently too large for MP, so I uploaded everything to a shutterfly album here.

After a number of phone calls, we finally got the info we needed and showed up about 45 minutes ahead of our scheduled time. The event was being held in a maintenance hangar and there were a few thousand people who had received invites, all with dedicated 30-minute start times.

It's rare that you get to see one of these birds up close and personal, but they truly are fantastic creatures. The 787 is a bit smaller than the 777 and is set up for routes that are "long and thin," meaning 200-300 passengers on a long-haul non-stop.

We had a nice chat with the Boeing team about the plane's construction, which was heavy on composites, and fuel economy, which is a 20% savings on the current planes. One of the photos show the ridges on the engines, which apparently help smooth out the flight. The interior pressure is also maintained at a lower level, so it is that much more comfortable for the passengers.

It was also interesting talking to some of the other people. It's odd how people can fly so many miles and not know anything about FF programs or airlines in general. I understand that it's not their thing, but I'm surprised that some of it doesn't just seep in by osmosis. I should have been handing out my MP business cards.

See the picture of the cockpit? If you look closely, you can see a little "teleprompter." It provides all the flight information for them real-time. Kinda cool.

The flight out of Boston will only be two classes and I only had time to take a quick picture of the C section (That would be cool, giving birth on a plane; a C-section in the C section.). The seats do go lie-flat, but other than that, did not look terribly impressive. Having said that, every airline can set up the cabin as they wish, so there may end up being some fantastic premium seats.

Economy is set up on this plane (which is for demo purposes only) as 3-3-3, but the JAL flight BOS-NRT will be 2-4-2. Apparently, there are a number of families on this flight and JAL anticipates that they will want the middle section. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good photo of the windows, but they can be adjusted to control lighting, which sounded pretty cool, as well. Nothing exciting about the overhead bins; It'll be tough to get one of those to satisfy everyone.

The last photo is the crew rest area, which is the first time I've ever seen this area on a flight. Alas, my wife turned down my invitation to see exactly how private these areas are.

In any case, it looks like a lot of plane that would be a lot of fun to fly. I'm not sure if there are any breakthroughs in some of the hard product, but I'd be interested in seeing if some of the comfort features checked out.

Mike

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have a picture that I'm posting below that isn't great but does show some of the window's size and shape. I didn't go to the event in BOS, but this is from the tour of the Boeing Customer Experience Center on the MegaDO. They took us through the 787 mock up with Boeing and JL reps to discuss the product.

[​IMG]

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    So that's what my seat is going to look like. :D