Anyone else burnt out or experience burn out on the whole points thingie?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by mikeef, Aug 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I have to admit it: I'm burned out. Part of it is my own fault: for the past three months, I've been running back and forth to CVS, getting VRs with a CC that gave me back 10% on drugstore purchases (targeted and only for first 90 days) while trying to figure out what card to load it onto. The thought of seeing another VR makes my stomach turn. I just can't get myself excited to manufacture spend, even though I know the points will get used.

Anyone else ever go through burnout, and how long does it take to clear up?

Mike

Aktchi likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    until your next redemption & your balance gets close to 0? ;)

rodeojones, Slow_Mustang and viguera like this.
  3. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or when you realize that you're going to come up just a few thousand miles short for that trip you've been planning, sitting up front.

rodeojones, viguera and edekba like this.
  4. LeeInDC

LeeInDC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm the opposite right now. I applied for several new cards last week but none have arrived yet and I'm so anxious. I'm ready to go out and start manufacturing!

5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    A little. I'd suggest moderating a little. Myself it was last week when all the Walmart Money Center ATM's I hit had signs on them saying they were out of business, and I ran into trouble redeeming some $500 Vanilla VISA cards and I was finding trouble buying those at 7-Eleven and and and... Good news is there's a limit of $5,000 a month on Bluebird and I've hit that for the moment, and maxed out the Gas category on Freedom, so until next month there's nothing else to do. A couple of weeks sabatical on the whole thing will help.

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm much too lazy to do that.

I’m lucky enough to have cash float ability so I support charity endeavors when I need some spend…

7. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the risk of being branded a heretic, I'm in the moderation camp, happy w/ the occasional good sign up offer combined with plenty of good point and mile buildup from personal and business spend.

boondr, srdshelly, kziel and 6 others like this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    10 seconds at most

garyst16, OceanBreezes and clscholes like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

BLASPHEMY

ariosto and Espan like this.
  10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have always gone at a moderate pace, both with miles/points accumulation and with long-distance travel. So, instead of burning out I am enjoying two nights at a surprisingly nice Hampton Inn for only 10K points per night, which is allowing me to leisurely explore a side of the Great Smoky National Park I haven't been to for many years.

garyst16, onfo, LauraPDX and 3 others like this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the problem is that when you don't have the luxury of traveling on someone else's dime -- especially on business, long-haul, or both -- your only options to play the game are to manufacture spend.

Either that, or seriously come out of pocket with the occasional promo or mileage/mattress run.

It's the nature of the game though...

OceanBreezes and LeeInDC like this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I consider myself lucky to have business expenses (and a wife that spends too much). I don't think I could handle the constant VR/Bluebird merry-go-round. I remember when I used to change hotels every night to eke out a few more points. Sooooo glad I don't do that anymore.

doc, boondr, NYCUA1K and 3 others like this.
  13. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I go in cycles. For a few weeks I cannot get enough of it, and spend far too much time reading about miles/points and such (and then perhaps implementing). Then I'll drop off for a bit (or completely) and spend energy being productive in other areas. That also lasts for a few weeks, until I hit the bottom of the curve and stop back up again. However, no matter what, I can never stop recording my points balances.

14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    MS is a non-trivial investment of time, that's for sure. Even if the stores are not out of your way, it takes capacity to think about and plan it, to actually do it, and then to keep track of everything!

I ebb and flow. Taking a few weeks off right now. I will invariably re-load post Labor Day. :)

I am building for non-specific goals. I think if I had a specific travel plan in mind that I was working towards, I might have more continuous vigor towards the effort.

viguera and NYCUA1K like this.
  15. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Leaving next week on a three month pleasure trip! I will be refreshed to start hoarding again when we get back to the USA !!!

16. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree, I have been meaning to get started, but just thinking about it gives me headache. Still mean to get started. :) To OP: Bring your activities down to a level where they are not such a drag. Or find a wife like Pizzaman's wife; no need to manufacture anything, it's all right there. :)

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A recent highly animated thread on the topic comes to mind, and your burnout does not come as a surprise.;)
    No burnout here because every "churn" I do is targeted and "utilitarian", by which I mean that I "churn" when I actually have a use for the card, and the minimum spend requirement is always incorporated into spend that would have happened regardless.

I have applied for 3 cards this year: (a) the Citi Reserve visa (sign up bonus: 2 free nights after making the minimum spend) because it gives me 10 points/$ at Hilton properties in the long run and has no foreign transaction fee, unlike the AMEX Surpass which awards 12 points/$ but has a foreign transaction fee, so I try to use the Citi Reserve overseas and the AMEX Surpass domestically -- the utility is clear; (b) the Chase Hyatt visa (sign up bonus: 2 free nights and 2 suite upgrades; GP Platinum status perpetually) because I joined Gold Passport after I found a number of major cities overseas with no Hilton presence whatsoever and needed a fallback/backup program; and (c) just this month, the Chase Marriott Rewards visa (sign up bonus: 70K Rewards points + free nights and a lot more; a good card all around) because I joined the new UA-MAR JV (RewardsPlus) and got Gold Elite Status in MAR, which, with the Hyatt membership, now offer me great flexibility in case it is not practical to book stays at Hilton properties (e.g., nonexistent in a city or unaffordable) around the world. In each case I just used the card to make purchases or payments that I would have made anyway (e.g., I used the Hyatt visa to pay my taxes on tax day and meet the minimum spend requirement at the same time. No MS necessary, meaning no pain or burnout). The bulk of my points and miles is earned the old-fashioned way: I fly or I book stays on revenue. The icing on the cake is that I get reimbursed for most of it. I believe that to rely on churning for the bulk of points and miles and on manufactured spend to meet the minimum spend requirement is the wrong recipe for use in the "whole points thingie"...but that is just what my analysis suggested ;)

18. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    The burn out will first have to be with travel, before I burn out on accumulating miles/points.
    So long as it is mostly in F, I don't see burn out of travel coming any time soon.

19. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to say I never took this to extreme (well, it does depends on ones point of view) - most of my earning where from credit card sign up bonuses and occasional promotions. I don't think I will ever be able to do the all VR buying thing. Just too much work for my taste.

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I think that's the key though... when you're just working towards minimum spend because of an offer that was too good to pass up or something similar, then maybe there's urgency but it's not quite the same.

If on the other hand you're looking at a specific redemption -- maybe an aspirational property for some kind of celebration or an RTW trip or whatever, then that gives you a much clearer goal and I think it becomes less tedious.

21. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think a lot of it also depends on what else is happening in my life. Right now, I'm at a higher stress level. We'll see what happens when things calm down.

Mike

22. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I too am burned out a bit and thankful that my min spend is done on my last AoR. Now I can move a more leisurely pace spending on SPG cards to bump up points values for hotel redemption in all the destinations we've booked. We have travel in place through July 2014 so we're good to go.

23. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get burnt out on many things. Sometimes it just takes a small change in focus to clear it right up.

24. BOShappyflyer

BOShappyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also moderate, and by that, I mean that I don't usually buy VR unless I have a spend to meet. CVS/Walmart are not out of my way but I just don't feel the need to hit the maximum earn rate. Also, as someone mentioned, managing the whole points thing takes time too, and in the grand scheme of things (especially when you have a lot on your plate or pressing matters, i.e life, health, family or other stresses), VRs are really small potatoes.

For me, there are usually a few homeless people loitering about the CVS near my workplace, and some of them would ask for spare change. Sometimes even those little encounters would help me to re-frame my perspective -- some people don't even have a home or the privilege of traveling, so is it worth the time/fee to spend on VR when I could perhaps use time/money to do a bit more good in the world? (Sometimes that's a yes, sometimes that's a no)

But that's just me. I don't get to travel on my business/company's dime, so miles and points are important to me. But how important is something I like to keep in check -- it's far too easy to go overboard with it. I don't need to maximize the earn rate, but just enough for what I 'need'. I'm not burned out yet, so moderation seems to work well.

ijnk and miles and smiles like this.
  25. Smilee
    Original Member

Smilee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it is interesting after a rash of bad trips, flight delays, cancellations etc. I am really starting to realize that flying is not really much more glamorous then riding in a greyhound (especially with AA new greyhoundish logo)

I was flying Emirates F last week, and although the Dom was nice, and having a shower is pretty cool it made me realize that I can have all those things at home, and not be away from my family. Also I was raving about the Emirates F-lounge in Dubai, and when I thought about the meal, well, it was only about as good as a 15-20 dollar meal I can get in a restaurant back home.

Right now I am flying on AA 77W in business with WiFi, and you know what, really when all is said and done, its a comfortable enough way to travel on a 10 plus hour flight. So I dont need to go crazy on points and status. I should really be spending more time with my family, bring them along on a trip or two every year to enjoy new places, and just fly in business or on shorter hops in coach. That way I can go a little more easy on gathering points.

In fact I have just realized this summer, I have collected too many points. I aquired 400K Delta points that I was just about to use to book the family of four to Europe on Air France next summer... and what does Delta do last week just up it 100K points to do that...URGH.

So I think I have learned, I should just earn enough miles to burn. Stay at home with the family more, and just burn the points and earn the points in a less fanatic manner.

I think maybe its a once you have experienced it, the new excitement of it wears off. Really I am getting excited about being an AA plat so I can use the BA F lounge in London and get a hamburger and champaigne in the lounge.. After my 6th time in London this year, I think I am getting tired of it.