Anyone done an actual RTW for 1 yr. + ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by HomerJ, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HomerJ
    Original Member

HomerJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me and Marge are looking to do a RTW for 1-2 years as soon as Millhouse the wonder dog passes into doggie heaven in a few years. So I see lots of folks doing RTW's but usually for much shorter periods of time. So have any of you wayward folks done a long term RTW?

How did you budget?
    How often did you use hotel points?
    What reference material didja use?

Any help will be appreciated, the base flights will be in F on RTW tix with points, but anything secondary will be out of our pockets.
    Expect to have about 300K SPG points when we leave and I will still be PLAT status if that helps at all.
    Anyways input is greatly appreciated!

2. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Parts of it are outdated, but I can recommend the Round the World Travel Guide (http://perpetualtravel.com/rtw/ ) as a useful source for a lot of planning info for long term travel. Marc and Karin, who wrote it, have done two 2+ year RTW trips. They put the guide together when planning their first RTW in the mid-1990's.

Disclaimer: they are good friends of mine and are somewhat responsible for my having done a 9 month, not RTW, trip some years ago, so I may be biased.

3. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    very interesting site. lots of albeit outdated info but still a good jumping off point. :)