Anyone care to help a newbie construct a mileage run?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Eric, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am Silver on DL, fly out of PBI and I am around 8.5k short of GM. I want to try to get to GM before a few long flights I have coming up to increase my chances of being upgraded. I don't care where the run(s) take me. I would like to fly out on any Saturday and come back on Sunday if at all possible.

I have spent the better part of yesterday and several hours today going back and forth from farecompare to ita with unspectacular results. Either I suck at this(which is probably the case) or there just aren't many MRs out of PBI that can be had for a great cpm. Either way, I would appreciate any help that can be given. Thanks again.

2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much are you willing to spend for the 8.5k miles?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting 8.5K miles in one weekend is going to be an impressive feat. That almost certainly means international travel and likely won't be cheap.

Eric likes this.
  4. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check the DL forum. There was a recent post about BOS-LHR in BE for a reasonable price and that would yield 1.5 X MQM's.

Eric likes this.
  5. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have a set price but I would like to keep in reasonable. How much should one spend to do a mileage run like that? Isn't the general consensus for a MR around 5cpm and lower?

6. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it makes it cheaper or easier I can do it in two weekends but I would love to do it all at once and get it out of the way.

7. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw that and it is the same price out of MIA which is a reasonable drive away but $1500 for a mileage run seems steep. If I had a need or want to go to London for a long weekend it would make a better value to me.

diver90 likes this.
  8. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understand. It's all relative. You'd probably get around 13-14K MQM's and get to fly pretty comfortably too. The long weekend would be good and while it's a bit chilly there right now, London is never boring. I'd probably do it myself.

Let's see if there is anything else out there.....

Eric likes this.
  9. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When do you want to have your MR completed?

Eric likes this.
  10. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to do it on one of the next three weekends if at all possible. The end of March is when my travel is going to start picking up for work.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that the BOS/MIA-LHR roundtrips are promotional I fares, discounted business class and I believe aircraft with flat bed seats. Not only do you experience BE service on a very nice new plane but you also get a 50% class of service bonus on both MQMs and miles to spend. If you can afford it, this is a great deal and you get your desired miles (in fact, a lot more) all in one weekend. Enjoy!

Eric and diver90 like this.
  12. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You and I are on the same page on this one. I'd do it myself but I understand and respect the OP's desire to be as cost-efficient as possible.

Eric likes this.
  13. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I understand it is a good value in respect to business class fares, here is my line of thinking. The reason for the mileage run is to jump my status to have a better shot at getting upgraded on two long flights I have coming up. If I was going to spend $1500 to do that I could just as easily spend an extra $750 per ticket and buy first class tickets instead of coach on the flights I am concerned about. At that point I would be Gold and well on my way to Plat.

My goal was to do it cheaper. If I can't then the MIA-LHR might be my only choice.

diver90 likes this.
  14. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    10-4. Have you tried Kayak (which uses the ITA engine I believe) and experimented with routes like MIA - SEA, MIA-PHX, MIA, etc. or other nearby origin points (other than PBI which is probably not a great bargain ever) and then only selected multi-stop routes at off hours?

Eric likes this.
  15. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that is going to be my next move. i just can't find anything that is MR worthy out of PBI. I will have to look at FLL, MIA or even MCO.

diver90 likes this.
  16. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like the best plan.