Anyond else attending Kiva City DC Market @ 1776 - July 21, 2015?

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by iolaire, Jul 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else attending? Susan and I will.

From email:
    You're Invited to Connect with Local Kiva Entrepreneurs
    Join us for a special event at DC's premier startup incubator, 1776. The evening will feature local Kiva Zip entrepreneurs selling their goods and promoting their small businesses. Mingle with the makers of artisanal candy, kombucha, Bolivian pastries, bamboo bikes, socially-conscious pet supplies and more. We hope you'll join us in supporting these local small businesses by purchasing their unique products or even lending to a currently crowdfunding Kiva Zip borrower! Speakers will include Kiva's new CEO Martin Tschopp and a Kiva Zip borrower offering the DC community an exciting new service.

Kiva City DC Marketplace
    Sponsored by Capital One
    Date: July 21, 2015
    Time: 6:00pm - 8:00pm

Please RSVP below and we'll see you July 21!
    http://www.eventbrite.com/e/connect-with-local-kiva-entrepreneurs-tickets-17532194265

What is Kiva City DC?
    Through a partnership with Capital One, the Kiva City DC program was launched in January 2013 with the goal of bringing the power of microfinance to small businesses in DC, ensuring the continued development of our city and its people. Kiva Zip is an access to capital tool that provides US-based entrepreneurs 0% interest, no fee loans up to $10,000. The loans are crowdfunded through Kiva's community of social lenders as well as the borrower's personal network. The idea is to bypass the barriers that block entrepreneurs from accessing traditional forms of capital, and instead use a method of "social underwriting" based on one's character and network of trust.

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a reminder this Kiva Zip event is in DC tomorrow the 21st. FYI 1776 is "1776 is a global incubator", for some reason I was thinking it was the Clyde's restaurant 1789...

3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let us know how it goes. Enjoy!

MissBurrill, iolaire and misman like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice event, not as high class as that Square Event at Kiva Do II. It had eight or ten producers mostly creating food stuffs, but one person with a twin baby carrier (backpack/sack like), a bamboo bike company, and a umbrella company who was delinquent as of noon and is now paying back!

Small spread of empanadas, hummus, cheese and crackers. Good bit of commercial beer and two wines. All sponsored by Capital One.

Presentation was fast, Capital One said they have donated over two million! That's with matching and the like. Makes me wonder the accounting on that one, was money given, or do they get it back like we do. New CEO of Kiva, Martin Tschopp, spoke. It was his first public presentation. He linked is parents attempted immigration with the help Kiva Zip gives. His family ended up moving back to Switzerland. Next was a Zip borrower who now has 15 electronic charging stations in development in Virginia. Again she is a child of immigrants who wanted to start their own business but lacked for funds. Graham with the DC lending team ended the talk. I was one of a few with the DC team there! And at that I think I've only lenders about $200 with the team.

At the event I had to brag to Graham and Martin that I passed $100k in loans this week. I mentioned that we still have problem of expired loans with only few hundred to go. Martin generally gave lassezfair type answers that sometimes you just need to let the market work itself out.

Anyway happy for the drinks, the talk and the vendors. We didn't buy anything because we really can not justify $7-$8 for some small artesian product. But I'm still happy to fund them because someone buys them.

If this image uploads it's Kiva's new CEO Martin.

image.jpg

MissBurrill, milchap and YULtide like this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report!

MissBurrill likes this.