Anybody using Square Cash or Venmo for MS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by gconnery, Mar 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no experience with either. Just wondering if they're worth looking into. Based on a minor bit of digging I think I'm staying away from Momentum...

2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using both. What are your questions?

gconnery likes this.
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I'm using AP, BB (may switch to Serve), Evolve and Ribbon. Obvious question is ... what else if anything? I've seen stuff suggesting Momentum for example but also posts suggesting others ran into trouble, plus the whole green card is really black etc etc all sounds very very sketchy to me. I've looked at the recent Consumer's Reports on the prepaid card options and its nice little table of expenses, and its pretty obvious that BB/Serve are in their own class. Looking for something that has no monthly fees, a way to load and a way to unload, it isn't obvious what the next option is. I'm aware of Vanilla VISA cards, PayPower, NetSpend et al but in general they all seem to have issues of one sort or another. They shut down lots of people, its too hard to load them, their checking function costs too much money, etc.

Seems like Venmo and Square are still maybe worth investigating. Are one of both of these worth the time as possible MS methods? Or not?

4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Square is picky and somewhat random. Sometimes payments go through and sometimes they get reversed. However, since they added the option to require the debit card CVV for each transfer, I haven't had one fail.

Venmo, ... heck yeah ... what's not to like?

As for Ribbon, I'd love to get in on it, but I'm wait-listed. Any way you could send along an invitation?

5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Overall summary...

Ribbon works but only with some gift cards and is limited to $500/month unless you give them your SSN and so forth.
    Venmo works but only with real debit cards as far as I can tell.

We'll see when the big clamp down comes with Evolve, but for the moment it works great.

6. beachminter

beachminter Member

Status Points:
    haven't heard of ribbon before but i'll give it a try

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    After sending Ribbon my DL the 2nd $500 xfer completed the next day. Course now I have no idea what the limit is...