Anybody tried ribbon.co yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by gconnery, Mar 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like its yet another new service that lets you pay somebody online. Invite only at this point, though I seem to have made it through. The usual fees for credit cards, but free for debit. Whether it will work for gift cards I have no idea. Figure I'll take a shot with a low-value gift card and see what happens. Might be interesting for a bit.

I can't find any record of it being discussed on FlyerTalk. Looks like they took an earlier stab at Twitter card in stream payments and then got shut down by Twitter almost immediately. Not confident they'll be around for the long haul, but still might be an interesting way to get rid of gift cards for a bit if that works.

2. thesatishk

thesatishk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just signed up, on the wait list. Here's my personal sign up link, will help me move up the wait list.

https://ribbon.co?r=2b9993

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, I simply signed up a bunch of my other emails to get my invite to move up the list. You might want to do the same. If you need a bunch of other emails--get a hotmail email address and use the alias feature to create a bunch of alternative email addresses for the same account.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or, if you have gmail, a period between any letters will not change where the email is delivered. So JonDoe, Jon.Doe and J.o.n.D.o.e @ gmail.com all go to the same place. Also, anything after a + symbol is ignored so jon+1, jon+2 and jon+3 are all delivered to Jon.

6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I picked up a cheap MC gift card at 7-ELEVEN for (gasp) cash, and used it to send $20. Supposedly the money is supposed to show up within 3-5 business days, so we'll see what happens.

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Off Topic: So I knew the 7-Eleven I was going to wouldn't take a credit card. Didn't care since I just wanted to put a small amount on the gift card as a test. Anyways, I walk up to the guy and ask if they take credit cards for these and he says sorry, no. According to him ever since the Target breach, 7-Eleven has tightened up and won't allow credit cards to be used for these anymore. Now of course this is total bullshit, since this particular 7-Eleven hasn't been taking credit cards for longer than that AND the cash register would have allowed the purchase if he'd tried it AND I buy VGCs at my home base 7-Elevens all the time AND what possible difference would it make to the risk of fraud a la Target if 7-Eleven blocked a very limited number of its sales from using credit cards while allowing them for virtually everything else? Anyway...

8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    The $20 posted yesterday. So a day or so after I sent it. Faster than they said, which is fine. Might be worth playing around with for a little money. Maybe I'll hit up an Office Max or something for some free money.

9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    $500 posted today. So 4 days, 2-3 business days after sending 3/7 from a Vanilla Gift Card. Not sure whether to try this again this month or wait...

10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Supposedly my limit is now $10,000 but after adding a new VGC (successfully) I find I can't send any money with it. So either they're blocking these debit cards (odd that they allow them to be added since some of the others get rejected when you try to add them) or there's a $1,000 per month limit (won't know till next month) or something else. Don't know. Anyway, it may be a dead end or not.

11. rhouston

rhouston New Member

Status Points:
    I've been able to use a few vgcs and amex gift cards successfully, multiple payments of around $500 go through with no problem so far. I think having a billing zip code for the cards helps. If it's like Venmo, there may be a limit to the number of cards you can add but you can actually make a payment to a ribbon account without being signed in. It says the limit is $10k/month after I verified my ID.

Any tried pushing larger amounts through here?