Any way to speed up lifetime miles on Continental to attain Million Miler Reward

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by zenNJ, Sep 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. zenNJ

zenNJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am excited about the new Mileage Plus program which will offer lifetime premier gold status.
    Unfortunately I have only about 800K in my lifetime mile balance and even though in the last 2 years I have been flying more often (made 1K last year and on target to make it again this year), it will be at least 2 more years to bump it up to 1 million miles - and this will be harder now that you can only earn those miles flying just United/Continental/Copa.

On the mileage plus merger update page, they have the following info about how OnePass track lifetime activity differently (see below). So can anyone suggest how to speed up accruing my lifetime miles on continental (i.e. through promotions or credit card or partner airlines)? I had recently flown Virgin Atlantic from NYC->LHR and had hoped I would earned miles toward the lifetime miles since it was codeshared. But I found out the hard way from Onepass that because I purchased the airfare on virgin website (even though the fare class is pretty high at 1.5 base), none of the 10K miles I earned would count as actual elite miles :(

One-time recalibration and combination of lifetime balances.

Currently, MileagePlus and OnePass® track lifetime activity differently: MileagePlus counts only base EQM (actual flight miles on United and United Express), while OnePass counts both base EQM and bonus EQM (those earned on partner airlines, or through promotions or credit cards).

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. zenNJ

zenNJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks, I forgot that you can actually pay extra for the elite miles qualification. It's a bit costly though. Just did a test calculation and it would cost me $971 to get 13864 elite miles. But definitely something to keep in mind. I wonder if Continental will do away with this option after the merger.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying not to hijack here but if time and or Jan first are problems for requalifying, then $971 might not be too bad a deal. Think of it as saving an east coast to china mileage run at a not so great price ;)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. zenNJ

zenNJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. No I should be able to make 1K again this year so it's not for requalifying, otherwise then yeah $971 is not a bad deal. I am more trying to see if i can speed up the time it'll take to earn 1MM so that I can get lifetime gold and then can qualify my partner to enjoy the perks earlier.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your 800k lifetime miles are in MP as opposed to OP, then you'll get all your EQMs from every year your account has been active added up to get your "new" lifetime total. As I stated in the 2012 MP Program Details thread, just adding up EQMs from the last 3 years gives me an additional 90k lifetime miles compared to my BIS lifetime miles total. If you've been tracking your EQM's at all, I think you'll be surprised at your revised total.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. zenNJ

zenNJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah unfortunately they are mostly all on Continental. I only started flying United after the merger was announced. :(

8. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, me too. I've been a MP member for 26 years and have a whopping 64k lifetime miles, even with a generous EQM bump I might hit 75k total. At least they have moved the MM benefit to be minimum Gold which gives you perma-international lounge access.